1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top Auto Employer in California - Can you Guess?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, May 16, 2014.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It aint Toyota -
    Tesla Edges Out Toyota as California’s Top Auto Employer - Bloomberg

I duno if in part it's because Toyota is abandoning CA (for Texas) relating to corporate headquarters - but there is a bit of irony. The Toyota (et al) hydrogen lobby has grabbed tons of benefits for their fuel cel car - above & beyond incentive/credits made for EV's. Is it irony? Toyota sticks CA with hydrogen's burdensome costs - then moves headquarters to Texas. o_O
    Do they even sell the PiP in TX yet?
    Anyway - go tesla. If they can make it in our over taxed state, they can truly make it.

Trollbait likes this.
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Go TESLA !!! automaker

3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    WOW TALK ABOUT SELECTIVE TARGETING OF DATA in order to make yourself look good. It reminds me of how Tesla claimed they had the safest car in the US (false; lots of cars got 5 star ratings). Here's some reality:

800 thousand US citizens work for automakers & supplies
    77 thousand for GM
    65 thousand for Ford
    40 thousand for Chrysler
    36 thousand for Toyota
    26 thousand for Honda
    20 thousand for Nissan
    5 thousand for Tesla

The state of Michigan alone employs 140,000 autoworkers. How many work for Tesla? Essentially zero

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    But you forgot that TESLA is a manufacturer of a single car line, only one model so far, with a 5 STARS rating.
    Please, go out to check your "Other Hybrid" :cry:

bisco likes this.
  5. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I thought Tesla had two-and-a-half models (Roadster, Model S, Rav4 propulsion). Also there are many luxury cars with 5 stars. Not really surprising.

Also you erased my key point: "5" is small compared to the other car companies (800). It's a thing not a beloved.

6. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, thats kind of how it works when you make a claim of being CALIFORNIA'S top auto employer.

If Tesla is in fact trying to "make themselves look good", I suspect it may have something to do with the Gigafactory and their efforts to secure some benefits/commitments from CA. Last Elon mentioned, he did say CA is still in play.

7. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There's LOT's of sunshine in CA's deserts for solar-powered factory consumption.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about Top Auto Employer In Kentucky? Toyota celebrates 25 years as manufacturer in Kentucky

Wait, there is more! Once the moves are complete, Toyota says it will have 8,200 employees in Kentucky. Toyota relocating Northern Kentucky jobs | WVXU
    :) .

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No this includes toyota still having headquarters in California, the move and reduction in head count hasn't happened yet. As a Texan, I really don't like the $47 M bribe in state and local tax payer money given to toyota to pick Texas. DFW is a much more convient airport to Plano, than LAX to torrence, with shorter flights to everywhere they need to fly except japan. From a green point of view, they will use more electricity for air conditioning, but can easily supply it cheaply and easily renewably from solar on the roof and wind from the grid. Since there are fewer employees they will burn less gas, and likely will have shorter commutes. They will contribute to Dallas traffic problems, but reduce LA's, and LA has worse problems and pollution from cars. The extra they spend on renewable electricity in texas (if they go 100% renewable), will be much less then the money they save in salaries and taxes.

The big drop in auto employment in california was the closing of NUMMI, which was the most expensive plant Toyota had in North America, and IIRC 3rd most expensive in the world. Here you can rightfully blame right to work texas and mississippi moves because that is where the cars went. That is also where tesla is growing employment.

The prius phv is still not sold in texas, even though it would get a $2500 state rebate here if sold here. The dealers successfully made sure that tesla was excluded from the rebate, head of the charge is a multi-car dealer including Toyota.

10. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, but NUMMI made some excellent vehicles--we still own & drive two Pontiac Vibes (nee' Matrix)--something that cannot be said about other GM nameplates (Astro, Malibu, Cruze) that we've owned.

11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Where the NHSTA did use hard numbers, the Model S wins.
    It has a lower chance of roll over than ANY other sedan, or even sports cars.
    Using the calculations NHSTA provides manufacturers the Model S scored higher than any other vehicle.
    True, NHSTA doesn't classify beyond simple whole numbers of stars.
    However, by any specific measurement they do offer, the Model S scored higher than any other car.

Edit----------
    Looked up some data at safecar.gov.
    Looking at 2013 model cars, I could only find one other 'luxury' car that scored 5 stars in all categories. That is the 2013 Cadillac ATS.
    It has a 10.1% chance of rollover in the NHSTA tests.
    The Model S has a 5.7% chance of rollover. This is astoundingly better.

If you have info about any car that can get 5 stars in all categories and has a rollover chance less than 5.7% I would be very, very impressed.

12. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    There are lots of csrs that carry perfect 5 star ratings (mostly luxury cars, but not all). The Tesla scored 5.2 "raw" whereas several cars got 5.3 or 5.4 or even 5.5 raw score. The tesla did not receive the "highest score ever" from NHTSA because Several other cars scored higher.

Elon Musl also falsely claimed his car broke NHTSA's equipment. NHTSA denies this ever happened.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Name one.

No, Elon never made that claim.
    He stated that the independent third party company that Tesla asked to test broke their equipment on the roof strength test, and was unable to get the car to roll over using their normal test and had to take "extraordinary measures" to get it to roll.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know, I don't think heavy sports sedans with traction control roll over easy, so a 4 or 5 is probably very safe. What is stunning is how the car compares to a lexus gsh or lsh or a bmw m5. It does well against all of these on all the objective and subjective metrics with lower TCO and cool tech.

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it is amazing, but considering what lousy mpg those cars tend to get it really gives the MS an edge.
    I went searching for another Luxury sedan than scored 5 stars in all categories. I looked at 2013s and only found one, which had almost double the rollover chance (5.7% to 10.1%).
    I think the little sports cars, as a group, do the best (excluding the MS).

Only 1% of cars score 5 stars in every category. I was hoping Troy could back up his statement that there are lots of cars that score 5 stars across the board and have scored higher.

The rollover chance is the only hard number (other that number of stars). Although if there is another source/data point that would be helpful.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok Troy, still trying to help you out here.

Here is an article about some of the safest cars in 2014. http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/best-cars/219747/the-9-safest-new-cars-for-2014.jsp
    Looks like only 9 cars got 5 stars in each category as well as overall.
    It also appears on two of those are luxury cars, the Model S and Cadillac's ATS.

As I previously mentioned, the ATS did not score nearly as well as the Model S in roll over, the only specific data point I can find.

If you have a resource for additional data points please share.

And let's open it up a bit. Feel free to name any car that scored better, in any category, not just luxury cars.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe a year ago? There was a horrific Model S vs (5star) Accord - head on/high speed crash near us (Laguna Canyon, on the way to/from the beach early morning). It wasn't the latest/greatest accord, but the Accord's driver & passenger were belted in. Instant death for both. Model S driver walks away, nary a scratch. Like all the other instances of Model S horrific crashes (high speed into buildings / concrete walls etc) it's anecdotal. The whole 'Tesla safety' thing is a wonderful tangent from the OP - and it's impossible to argue the test rating systems bug some . . . . . BUT . . .

I'm thinking the OP got missed, as it's evident from posts that the "fact" of the article seems to bother some .... that this guy (Musk) starts a company that has ALWAYS destroyed newcomers, and yet his company has filled a niche. It was (pre banko) General Motor's Lutz who smugly announced how Elon Would soon find out just how difficult the auto industry is. This - coming from the guy running the company that has all the legacy ignition switch litigation, brought on by folks slamming into immovable objects - no airbag deployment, because the ignition is off. Ironically, THAT didn't hurt GM sales. Still . . . . the nay-sayers might want to at least wait to see if Tesla sales take a dive 'after' they start having those kinds of quality issues (where the manufacture hides the issues - and delays fixing potentially fatal problems) ... and THEN raise straw-man issues about their sales only being a narrow pigeon hole thing. It still is what it is. You start building more & more cars - you start employing more and more people. Just a thought

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    OP is about the top auto maker (by number of employees) in California.
    I don't think speculation as to why this is, is that far afield.

Troy has made some statements which I am simply trying to get references for, or show that they are falsehoods.

19. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    NUMMI was...but isn't anymore.
    CHRYSLER used to be (Orangethorpe, CA)...but isn't anymore.

20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I was unable to find the cars which scored higher than 5.2 (which I found half-a-year ago), but I did find this. Basically it's saying "No Tesla, you did not score higher than a 5.0, and if you continue making the claim, we will take legal action against you."

So officially: The model S is a 5.0 and NO better than any other car that scored a 5.0

LINK: NHTSA Tells Tesla To Stop Exaggerating Model S Safety Rating - Slashdot