1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toppings for french fries

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Marg, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Marg

Marg New Member

Those Non-Sequitur comics posted by Evan were really funny. The annoying singer thing? Totally get it. The more I think about them, the longer my list gets.

But what's up with the mayonnaise thing mentioned in the first cartoon? I'm in the dark about this. Do Canadians have a reputation pertaining to mayo?

And what's with the fries and mayo thing mentioned in the second one?

Across the country I think the most common toppings would be ketchup and vinegar. In some regions brown gravy is also popular. And Quebec has a local specialty known as "poutine", consisting of fries and white cheese curds topped with gravy. (Personally, I think it's vile, but many of my friends love it).

But mayo? Fellow Canadians on this board, do you eat mayo with your fries? Am I missing out on a new trend?

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

actually, yes the canadians have a reputation for mayo but they are not the only one.

in europe, at least in belgium where i was but i have heard about other places as well, they serve 'pomme frites' at street vendors. these are fries that are 'double fried' so they are extra crisp.

they put them in a paper cone and then top the whole thing with a mayonaisse sauce that is seasoned... i thought of it as something like a tartar sauce but with different sorts of seasonings.

you could just feel your arteries clog as you were eating it, but they were incredible!

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got hooked on fries with mayo instead of ketchup / vinegar years ago by a colleague.

I find ketchup a bit too sweet for my taste now, so the mayo is a good addition (I find it works best with fries that are slightly oversalted and nice and crispy). I do have gravy once in a while on special occasions ;P

I've actually never tried poutine, but I know lots of people love it.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Likewise got hooked on mayo with Pomme Frites in Belgium...great change of pace...

Does that make me an honorary Canadian??

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

the way they cook the pomme frite is to deep fry them, take them out, then deep fry again so you have a double-crispy outer layer with a nice soft insides... so you are right on the mark with the extra crispy stuff.

by the way, there are lots of gourmet ketchups out there that have differing levels of sweetness and hotness that you also might find interesting. same with mustards. what a variety, and most mustards are low in fat and calories.

my 20 year old daughter likes a mix of ketchup and mustard on her fries.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i top mine with extra sharp cheddar and ranch dressing

7. Marg

Marg New Member

Reminds me of a line from the song If a had a million dollars by the Barenaked Ladies.... "Dijon ketchup. Mmmm!"

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wasabi mayo WILL clear the sinuses

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, we health conscious folks up here figured if you'all down there saw fit to name a medical facility after it... :roll: it has to be ok to put mayo on fries.

10. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

that sounds great too. the outback steakhouse near us serves a wicked spicy french fries appetizer that has cheese and then you can put dressing or whatever else you want...

and yes, there are some wonderful wasabi mustards, some with raspberry or other flavoring to give it a sweet and sour touch.

of course then there's habanero mustard, which has no flavor at all but will cause the first 2 layers of skin on the inside of your mouth to just peel away...

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Pepole hereabouts seem to like their garlic fries...smothered in about a cup of chopped fresh garlic.

12. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

wow. i like garlic but if i ate that i would have to sleep at a hotel for a week, my wife would not let me in the house! :D

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    habanero mustard has taste... its just that burnt out taste buds dont work as effectively... :):

14. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to dip 'em in BBQ sauce.

When I'm REALLY in the mood for a good heart attack, chilli and cheese. :mrgreen:

15. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

the chili/cheese thing is great too, but the fries have to be cooked right otherwise the chili just makes them soggy...

16. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

I had a friend from Cardiff (Outside Toronto) rave about crinkle cut fries, brown gravy and some sort or yellow cheese crumbled on it. What is that called my Canadian freres?

17. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is what Marg referred to as "poutine".

18. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

how about fries with cheese thousand island dressing and grilled onions on it? they're called animal style fries

19. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I see SOMEONE loves In-N-Out... I just moved from CA to WA and miss it like crazy

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

In Seattle not sure where else they'd be sold, but the garlic fries at Safeco Field need to be as much an institution in this state as the Pike Place Market or Chateau Ste Michele. AWESOME stuff! And to wrap up THAT meal, I LOVE the beers in plastic bottles and the bucket of cotton candy ;)