1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tops for retaining value

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Twiddles, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

Yahoo featured article today lists the 9 vehicles that are tops for retaining value. I was amazed that the Prius did not make the list.

2. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Saw the same thing and had the same question - who knows, maybe they didn't take into account hybrids.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    9 vehicles that are top?

9. Seems an odd number. Wonder why it wasn't 10?

Do you think, perhaps, that the Toyota Prius was #10?

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Were they maybe looking only at cars older than three years? Remember, the current generation Prius only went on sale in the late fall of 2003.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Up to five years I think.

Still...I think 6 of the 9 were SUVs. Do we really think SUVs are going to hold their value in five years?

6. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 12 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]347971[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the link to the article: http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/vcars_1.html

It refers to 2007 vehicles. The Prius should certainly be on the list, and maybe should be #1.

7. kDB

kDB New Member

Actually, I prefer this list. Though they only did it on American cars. Somehow the Ford Mustang came out as most satisfying car on another of their lists.

8. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the list from Consumer Reports, October 2006:

10 best and worst cars for depreciation
    Import brands lead in resale value

Which cars hold their value the best? According to Consumer Reports’ depreciation ratings, several affordably priced models--such as the Toyota Prius hybrid, Mini Cooper, and youth-oriented Scion models--hold their value better than higher-priced sports and luxury models. And while all of the top 10 models have either Japanese or European nameplates, nine of the bottom 10 are domestic models. Contributing to their high depreciation is the fact that many are older models, commonly used by fleets and rental companies, and often heavily discounted.

Below are the 10 models that are rated best and worst by Consumer Reports in depreciation. They are calculated based on the difference between the MSRP of a 2004 model when new and its current retail value. The average depreciation for all models is about 45 percent over the first three years. All of the top 10, however, are much better than average, while all of the bottom 10 are much worse than average. Prices are Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices, rounded to the nearest $500.

Top 10

1. Toyota Prius
    Ongoing demand for this thrifty gas/electric hybrid and excellent reliability give the Prius the best depreciation rating among all currently sold models. In addition, many owners are hanging onto them, so good luck trying to find a used Prius. $22,000.

2. Mini Cooper
    This trendy, fun-to-drive retro-hatch/convertible has generated a cult following reminiscent of Volkswagen’s Beetle. While the reliability of early models was below average, it has improved to average in recent years, according to CR’s Annual Car Reliability Survey. $17,500 to $25,500.

3. Scion xB
    This boxy wagon has love-it-or-hate-it styling, but it provides a spacious interior, stingy fuel consumption, good reliability, and a low price. Scion is Toyota's youth-oriented brand. $14,000 to $15,000.

4. BMW M3
    The limited-edition, tuner-developed M3 is the perennially popular high-performance model in BMW’s 3-Series line. A fanatical following and legendary performance mean that used M3s command premium prices. About $49,000 to $56,500.

5. Lexus RX
    Among the top SUVs in Consumer Reports Ratings, the RX is plush, quiet, and comfortable while providing better-than-average reliability and good crash-test results. The RX400h hybrid is among the most fuel-efficient SUVs we’ve tested. $36,000 to $46,000.

6. BMW 6-Series
    Available as a coupe or convertible, the 6-Series is based on the 5-Series platform. But its more limited production helps keep its resale value high. $72,000 to $79,000.

7. Lexus GX
    A different SUV from the Lexus RX, the GX is a traditional truck-based, off-road-ready vehicle. It has above-average reliability, a well-appointed interior, and good frontal offset crash-test results. But resale values might not continue to hold up as well for the GX as demand softens for body-on-frame, V8-powered SUVs. $46,500.

8. Acura TSX
    Providing a nice balance of sportiness and comfort, the well-rounded TSX provides above-average reliability, good crash-test results, and a long list of standard safety equipment. $28,000 to $30,000.

9. Scion xA
    The small xA hatchback looks much different from the larger xB but shares its low price, good reliability, and excellent 30-mpg fuel economy. $13,000 to $13,500.

10. Honda Civic & Civic Hybrid
    A longtime Consumer Reports recommended model, the Civic offers outstanding reliability, good fuel economy, and good crash-test results. While the Hybrid version returned an excellent 36 mpg overall in our tests, even regular Civics do well in our fuel-economy tests, with 29 mpg for the automatic. $14,500 to $24,500.

Bottom 10

1. Ford Freestar
    The unrefined Freestar is among the lowest rated minivans tested by Consumer Reports and has had below-average reliability of late. Resale values of the Freestar are likely to speed up their slide following Ford's recent announcement to discontinue production. $19,500 to $29,500.

2. Ford Crown Victoria
    This large sedan is an example of how fleet sales can lower resale values. As a perennial favorite of rental companies, police departments, and cabbies, the Crown Victoria can't hold its value in spite of good crash-test results and decent reliability. $24,500 to $27,500.

3. Buick Rainier
    With just 690 units sold in August '06 compared with 12,901 of its Chevrolet TrailBlazer sibling, the Rainier SUV gets the double whammy of costing more money and depreciating faster. $31,500 to $33,500.

4. Lincoln Town Car
    A recent Consumer Reports study found the venerable Town Car (last redesigned for 1998) to have the most generous incentives of any vehicle on the market. An old design with heavy discounts is not a good combination for resale. $42,000 to $50,500.

5. Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan
    These minivans are rated midpack in Consumer Reports testing, below newer and better models. The heavily discounted, aging Caravan remains a strong seller in the category, probably contributing to an oversupply. $18,500 to $27,500.

6. Mercury Grand Marquis
    The Grand Marquis is a twin of the Ford Crown Victoria, sharing its dated, 20th-century design. Like the Ford, it has had average reliability and good crash-test results, but it’s at the bottom of Consumer Reports’ large-sedan test ratings. $25,000 to $29,500.

7. GMC Envoy
    Like the Buick Rainier, the Envoy is a twin of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer. Both the Envoy and TrailBlazer are among the lowest-performing midsized SUVs in Consumer Reports’ test Ratings in addition to unimpressive crash test results and poor reliability. $26,500 to $37,000.

8. Ford Explorer
    The high-volume Ford Explorer has a history of poor depreciation that is expected to continue, despite a freshening for 2006. The midlife update did reduce noise levels from both powertrains, as well as improve interior fit and finish. $26,500-$36,000.

9. Buick Rendezvous
    Derived from GM’s minivans, this SUV has had average reliability but mediocre performance in our tests. It will be discontinued by the end of 2006. $25,000 to $28,500.

10. Chrysler Town & Country
    This minivan is a twin of the Dodge Grand Caravan, and shares the Dodge’s below-average reliability and midpack Ratings in Consumer Reports tests. $21,500 to $36,000.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ne...epreciation.htm

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B) All the "reports" and "surveys" aside, I just got $20,500 in trade for my 2004 Prius on a 2007 Touring Edition Prius - I paid $24,500 for the 2004. I had never seen such low depreciation on a used car, particularly in trade. I estimate the street sales price, had I sold it myself, would have been ~$23,000. A good part of the 'differnece' in selling myself and trading was compensated by the reduced state sales tax imposed on the 'difference' I paid rather than the MSRP at 6¼%.

10. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Nov 13 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]348375[/snapback]</div>
    Getting $20,500 for a 2004 Prius is amazing, Charles. How many miles did you have on the vehicle?

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy Arroyo

I believe the exact mileage was 21,953. Granted, it was a well-kept, low-mileage car. Other dealers offered tops of $18,500 one thinking it did not have the NAV system which should have brought another $500... still, in a trade situation, I thought $20,500 was very good. Similar '05's with similar mileage are listed on dealers' used car lots at $22,750 or so in this area. There were no 2004s on dealers' lots for the last 6 months or more.