1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Torn between new Prius, Highlander or nothing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nfschlaack, Mar 9, 2008.

1. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Greetings everyone,

I have come to a bit of a cross roads and I have decided to get some input from others. My scenario is that I am seriously considering getting rid of my Dodge Dakota. I actually like it, but the milage is bumming me out. Call it the "Prius factor". I have had the hots for the new Highlander Hybrid since it came out and it hasn't helped that I sat in it at the local St. Louis auto show. Now I have also considered becoming a two Prius family as well. The last option is that we also have a little Fiat Spider that gets around 26-28 mpg too, but we don't run it very often and it needs some work. I am trying to justify spending 10-25 thousand on a new vehicle when I'm not even sure that I need to. I'd love to get something new, but again, I don't know if I need it.

So I hope you all don't my if I ask for some input, regardless of the category.

Thanks

2. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No one can tell you whay you should do as only you know your personal and economic situation.

That being said, I can tell you what I did and probably will do. I am the type that will drive a car until it either is no longer drivable or requires major repairs that make it uneconomical to continue driving. My 08 Prius replaced my mid-life crisis '92 Miata after over 15 years and 198K miles (still miss that car) that finally bit the dust. We also have a '94 Camry with 138K miles that still runs like a top but only gets 24 to 26 mpg. The earth would probably thank me if I replaced it with another Prius now but due to my economic situation I probably won't until I have to and who knows what new cars will be available at that time.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the highlander is an excellent suv. my parents rx400h has the same power train. with my fathers aggressive driving style, we average around 22mpg. i can average 35, non aggressive, and 26 aggressive

the prius is a lot cheaper than the highlander and yields better gas mileage. with my current tires (on my signature) i average between 35 and 40mpg. I'm an aggressive driver. with the stock rims and comforthread tires, i yielded 44mpg to 55mpg. 40 if I'm hauling lumber and concrete... or other working materials.

My way of looking at is was this: with the prius i get safety and reliability.. along with "saving our world"... and my wallet.

first i wanted a car that has very distinct lights (brake light separate, yellow turn signal, HID headlights headlights).. that was the first step for my safety list. second was the dynamics of the car (airbags, traction control, vehicle skid control ) third was luxuries (auto climate control, navigation, voice command, steering wheel controls, keyless entry with keyless start)

no other car company could offer me a car for less than 35k dollars... plus.. that was bmw and merc... i'll never use half of what that car is built for.. i chose to abuse the weaker prius instead... i hate the solid rear end.. but.. it works..

4. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is some truth to the saying that the cheapest car you can buy is the one you already own. The saying only looks at one aspect of car ownership, but it is hard to refute if you don't have a lot of maintenance or insurance costs. Rising gas prices might change some opinions.

5. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buy new and help the economy!

I have the RX400h and Prius and love them both. Prius definately gets the better gas mileage though!

6. sugar land dave

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    nfschlaack,

Jiipa is right, we cannot make your decision since only you walk in your shoes. What I did however is get rid of a Lincoln Navigator that had costly maintenance and horrid mpg; I replaced it with a Prius when I went to look for a truck. Sitting in the Prius for a "spur of the moment, just for fun" test drive of the new-fangled hybrid was my mistake. When you realize that the Prius can act like a station wagon too and that you save enough in gasoline to rent a truck when needed, I think you may well go the two Prius route. I, for one, will never go back to big vehicles. Big is not the future.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on your wants and needs.

How often do you use the Dakota's bed? Do you need all that space (need not want). If so, then the Highlander will suit you better (albeit it's carpeted). If not, then the Prius would work fine as you probably know since you have a 2004 in your fleet.

If the objective is to save money on fuel then the Prius is the way to go. Well, not only fuel but also insurance (a car is cheaper to insure than an SUV/pickup truck) and maintenance is the same as a 2WD Toyota car.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't *need* the Dakota, sell it now before its value goes straight into the toilet. When gas is $4/gal you'll get sick looking at the thing.

Spiders are fun :_> Unless it's falling apart it would be less expensive to fix that than to buy a Prius, especially if you'd borrow money to buy it.

9. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jiipa and Sugar Land,

Both of you are correct. I am the one that has to deal with this, and for the record, finances are not the deciding factor here. I am the one that has to deal with this. But is it justifiable to spend the money if I really don't have to.

One thing I have come to a conclusion to is that I believe this is a mid life crisis thing. I have viable pros and cons for all three scenarios and I think I feel some pressure with the latest oil costs. Will there be another premium price for Hybrids soon?

I have a lot of questions and all of you replying have given me input. None of you are wrong, you know? So thank you. You have helped.

Funny thing is I got an insurance price quote from my current insurer, and it would only be another $41 per six months to cover the thing. That didn't help. :p

So keep the opinions coming, they have helped!

10. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One more piece of advice that has worked very well. Make yourself wait 30 days -- if you think about the pros and cons and still want it then you will probably want it 3, 6, and 9 months from now. If you talk yourself out of it after that long then you don't really need it. I find that the desire for the things I really want/need grows over the waiting period.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well a new car is always more costly to insure than an old car. Ask for a quote on a new Dakota (similarly spec'd as yours) and see the price difference.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, if you want to *justify* a new car purchase... you're never going to be able to do it from a financial perspective. from an "i want" perspective, you can easily talk yourself into it ;)

personally, i see a lot of value in not having a car payment. but depending on the cost of operation, having a car payment might outweigh the cost of keeping an older, larger vehicle on the road.

get nitty gritty with the cost aspect and write out what each will cost you to run another 25k miles. that will help you decide what's cheapest anyway. you still have to make the call whether that's what you want. that's how we decided what route to go with DH's commute.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In our case, we had turned into empty nesters, and we were anticipating trips to see the kids, grandkids, granddogs, etc. A change in driving requirements is a good way to rationalize a new car purchase. It doesn't make it cheaper than driving your old beater, but you feel better about the decision.

Tom

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you need to tow, a 2 Prius family wont work all that well.

15. adept

adept the prius novice

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm hopefully buying a used Prius today, my first... I don't think we'll ever be a 2 prius family though, we love our fifth wheel trailer too much. The prius will at least get used for our backpacking trips, and all of my commuting (80+mi/day).

I can't imagine buying one of those silverado hybrids either... My 2007 dodge diesel gets pretty close to their MPG and can probably tow 3x as much. On a good day we can get 14MPG while towing 8000lbs behind us-of course the wind can ruin that. The emissions system on the new cummins diesel has also drastically cleaned them up. I'm glad they've finally taken more sulfur out of the diesel fuel so they can make the big trucks clean up.

Next step... Need to make it illegal to use your huge diesel truck for AC or heat except in emergency situations. 600 billion gallons of diesel per year or something like that used by truckers idling while they sleep?! I believe it was a rough estimate in the new york times. There are aux window heater/coolers sold at truck stops to make it easy to not need to do this.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Welcome. I used to live in St George, Mesquite NV, and Park City. Went to the U

I agree big rig idling is a shameful waste, not to mention all that idle time is bad for the motor too. In cold climates, the new HD motors with DPF can actually start spewing raw diesel fuel out the exhaust if there is extensive idle time

There are gadgets designed to minimise or eliminate idle time. Some will work with the CUmmins in your Dodge truck. One is a diesel powered coolant heater, handy to have if you're parked nowhere near a plug in

Technology - Coolant Heater

Teleflex Power Systems - Idle Reduction & Power Management Solutions

Perhaps the ultimate solution - though pricey it claims to pay for itself in under 2 years - is a truck mounted APU. A little 1 or 2 cylinder diesel motor runs to heat/cool the cab, keep the big motor warm (Very important for cold starting, long life, and emissions), and charge the batteries

North America Truck, Trailer, and Rail

There is a lot we can do to minimise fuel consumption and emissions, without "giving up" things like some folks whine about

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Two. We had three, but they gave one away.

Tom

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My own take on it was that the HH is wikkid expensive, and not
    all that space-efficient inside. It might have a small advantage
    for taller items, but the prius is no slouch.
    _H*

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Awwwwwww .....