1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toronto Fire Services happy with new Toyota Highlander Hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sarge, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I read a column in the morning paper about this, and though I couldn't find the exact column online, I found a similar one posted a few weeks ago, actually with more detail and photos. I couldn't find any trace of this story on PC, so I'm posting it here...

"August 21, 2006

Toronto Fire Services happy with new Toyota Highlander Hybrids
    By Laurance Yap

A fire chief driving a hybrid?

Well, the Toronto Fire Services asked themselves, why not? If it's fast enough, tough enough and versatile enough to meet the demanding needs of a force that supports over 170 vehicles - and if it's cheaper to run than any alternative - then why shouldn't a hybrid vehicle be the vehicle of choice? Earlier this year, the service, which is the largest in Canada and the fifth-largest in North America, marked a large step away from the traditional emergency-service car to a fleet of nine Toyota Highlander hybrid SUVs.

<snip>

The first hybrid-powered response vehicles to be used in North America, the Highlander hybrid was chosen after an intensely competitive bid process that included the typical full-size North American sedans as well as the Honda Accord hybrid. The Toyota won out because of its high performance (with better acceleration and braking than the big sedans), its high ground clearance (which allows it to climb curbs if not actually jump them), its all-wheel-drive (which will be of great use in the winter) and its versatility (it has a rear hatchback and a large cargo area that's easy to load). The Highlander is also easy to drive - with electronic stability control and ABS - and its footprint is smaller than the large sedans the service had previously used."

Rest of the article

Nice to see the city leading by example. :)

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good for them!! Hybrids are sneaking there way into more than a few city and county services. Guess someone else must think they can "pay for themselves".

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love the integrated lights.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 10 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]317351[/snapback]</div>
    All the new fire service and rescue trucks here in Winnipeg also use the integrated LED. No hybrids yet, conventional Suburbans and Excursions.

I like the Motorola Integrated IP Network radio used by TO Fire and Winnipeg Fire. Less chance of overloading the network in a disaster

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't see any here in the west. Just the regular big ol' fire trucks.