1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Torque value -- or how tight to tighten Exterior Lift Gate Molding?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, a couple of weeks ago, I replaced the lift gate (hatch) lock because the rubber was shredding off -- a common problem.

Now, wifey is complaining the exterior hatch handle molding garnish is loose. And she is right. Not super loose, but it does move "up" a slight bit when opening the lift gate.

When I originally did the job, did not notice this. It may be because when I originally did it, I made the mistake of getting some of the rubber window gasket under the molding garnish -- I noticed it later in the day and was able to carefully run a micro-screw driver blade under the gasket and get it out from under the garnish. so, when I originally tightened the nuts, I was tightening against the gasket.

Anyway, the interior trim board will have to come off again -- not looking forward to that, but does anyone have any suggestions on a torque for the nuts securing the garnish. I have read several posts that have said not to tighten them too tight. And, when I removed them I remember how amazed I was at how they were not tight at all.

Maybe the best bet is just to tighten them down slowly and keep checking the garnish and see how it feels.

[​IMG]

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Well...this may be a feel and touch install.

Inch rating torque wrench.
    Find a schedule of nut size for the recommended torque.
    Make both sides the same torque.

Thinking outside the box, maybe utilize some double stick 3M tape?

Good luck.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No need to use tape, you might want to take it off again one day. Just tighten down the 4 nuts, like 10 to 15 ft lbs torque, That should be plenty tight

SM-N900P ?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I suggest you ask your wife not to use the hatch garnish as a handle. Being made of plastic, it is not particularly sturdy. I use the license plate to push down, and use the bottom of the hatch to pull up.

2. Consider the flimsy nature of the garnish. The nuts need a 10 mm deep socket hex driver, hence the threaded stud shaft is probably 6 mm. The factory service manual suggests a torque of 48 in.-lb (i.e., 4 ft.-lb) in a table at the front, Service Specifications section for a bolt of that diameter.

3. There is no torque spec in the manual specifically related to the removal of the garnish.