1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ToS Suggested Change - Link Aggregation?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Comrad_Durandal, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've noticed that there appears to be two or three users who all they post are collections of links to outside blogs, websites, or vendors - while not adding anything to the discussion. I'd report them as spam, but they seem to have been doing it for a long long time and keep their aggregates to their own topics. Perhaps a change to the ToS to prevent this - the most noticeable example of this seems to be eaglesight333, who posts nothing but green news snippets. I have no problem with links to back up a viewpoint, or to demonstrate a point of view being discussed - but these are just posts chocked full of links - no analysis, review, discussion, anything.

Sorry if I am 'pissing in someone's Wheaties' but it's kind of annoying when you open a thread expecting a discussion or new point - and get...screen-o-links.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Option B, which would be much easier for everyone involved:

[​IMG]

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly, on Prius chat you still see Threads started by those on your ignore list. That may be harder to fix than Plan A.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True (plus you see anyone who replies who quotes anything they posted). However, that shouldn't be an issue for the OP's problem.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Funny, guys.
    The truth is that we are opposed to people making link-only posts. Primarily, this is because that's a good tactic for spammers and phishers to get people to click on their links just to see what's on the other side. Also, if you want to share a link, do it on Twitter or Facebook; if you want to start a conversation, type something at Priuschat.

Sometimes I send a PM to the person who did the link-only post asking that they copy in a teaser paragraph of the link. The problem with that is I'm lazy.
    - Either I have to go out of my way to ask them to do it and then go out of my way to come back and make sure they did (which, if they didn't, means I have to PM them again).
    - Or I have to follow the link and copy in the teaser paragraph myself which is faster, sometimes easier but "doesn't teach anyone anything."

As for the GreenReports, I personally have no problem with them because I kind of like them. I usually browse the links and catch up on things I didn't know.

So do I wish people would stop starting threads with just a link? Yes.
    But am I consistent in my moderation of the problem? Not really.

I might create a new moderation thingy called something like "No More Link-Only Posts" and attribute a low point value to it. Then I can assign something like "5 points in 6 months automatically incurs a one month suspension." Low enough individual pain that it's not initially offensive but strong enough cumulative pain that it's a recurring mistake someone would make only once.

Alright, everyone. What do you think? Would that help?

8. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Like I said, the last thing I was aiming to do is jam up fellow users. Link aggregation wouldn't be an annoyance if the people posting them put some sort of analysis of it, their thoughts, opinions, something original with the links themselves to give a point of discussion - at least in a discussion forum environment; beyond a simple synopsis. Simply linking to content doesn't really interest me in the same way I am not 'amped' about search engine results. Too much noise out there on the Internet, seemingly smaller bits of information.

Discussion forums are a method of unique content generation, and it's why I participate in them - for better or worse. I don't agree with all viewpoints, but it's still nice to know people -have- opinions about things, and their reasons. Too often, most link aggregations are just links to synopsis and links to more teaser text with more links to....you guessed it, links to links to links to links ad infinitium - no original thoughtful content.

Perhaps a way to add the links to a section of the site proper outside the discussion forums if there isn't to be any discussion about them? I don't know, like I said, I am not looking to be the bad guy here.

Just suggestions, take them for what they are worth to you.