1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toshiba's New Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by NuShrike, Mar 29, 2005.

1. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    TOKYO -- Toshiba Corporation today announced a breakthrough in lithium-ion batteries that makes long recharge times a thing of the past. The company's new battery can recharge 80% of a battery's energy capacity in only one minute, approximately 60 times faster than the typical lithium-ion batteries in wide use today, and combines this fast recharge time with performance-boosting improvements in energy density.

... "For example, the battery's advantages in size, weight and safety highly suit it for a role as an alternative power source for hybrid electric vehicles."

I wonder if the plug-in project people could use this.

Would probably raise energy recovery from regenerative braking?

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

For years our captains of industry told us that battery technology was decades away for a proper electric car. GM is destroying thousands of electric cars as we speak.

Wouldn't it be ironic if our desire for tiny batteries for our laptops and cell phones results in the discovery of the technology to get rid of the ICE once and for all?

Of course, that won't solve our energy problems because we would still need to learn how to make tons of electricity. But it certainly increases the options.

(And I know that the "tons of" description doesn't work with electricity, I just can't think of another simple description to convey the size of that need.)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very impressive

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The biggest problem with Li-Ion batteries when used in autommobiles is the tendency to catch fire when damaged. There has been extensive research on this subject. Without it being solved, you won't see it in hybrids. Can you imgine the liability issue?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the heat problem has been solved. with the ability to charge to 80% in less than a minute and full charge in less than 5, overheating isnt an issue.

the article states that charging is done without any degradation. a battery was run through 1000 charges and discharges with only a 1% loss in capacity. also the battery operated efficiently at ambient temps up to 45º C.

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wasn't talking about the "heat" generated. Have you ever heard of a cell phone Li-Ion battery catches fire all by itself while sitting in a car? When damaged, an Li-Ion battery could easily catched fire even if it is not in use.

OK, here is the link:

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonew.../1104nlith.html

"But despite those power gains, there is one big drawback: lithium batteries are flammable, and a spate of recent accidents in cellphones, laptops, and electric bikes have fanned concerns about their suitability for the highway. “I wouldn’t predict the demise of NiMH batteries any time soon,†says Pete Savagian, engineering director for hybrid powertrain systems with General Motors Corp."

7. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    um, am I missing something? Isn't gas kinda flammable too? There must be a way to seal/contain/minimise the danger.

And this also looks good for hybrid cars in Hollywood movies - as long as they explode well, the crowds will be happy.

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think that Lithium-Polymer (a type of Lithium Ion) are much more stable and are much less likely to burn. Without knowing the makeup of these new batteries it's hard to say how stable they are, but the article does list them as aimed at the auto industry.

(a link to information on li-poly technology)Lithium Polymer Info