1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total battery power loss after 7 day vacation!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by imagehh, Dec 17, 2009.

1. imagehh

imagehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got my 2010 Prius V with everything loaded about 3 months ago, since then I've put on about 5500 miles on it and drove it everywhere. Then just last week I took a 7-day vacation and left the car idle parked in front of my driveway and when I came back I couldn't even use the keyless remote to enter the car and the battery seems completely DEAD. I tried jumping it myself for 15 mins but no luck, then called Toyota roadside assistance to jump it for me, the local service tech came out and said I should have it towed to the dealer since he doesn't know how to jump a hybrid! Then I called Toyota roadside assistance for TOWING, the tech came out and he was able to get it powered up and recharge. He said I should definitely take it in to the dealer and have it checked out why a total power loss after just 7 days. I have an iPod plugged in to the cigarette lighter but when the car is off, everything powers off anyway. What do you guys think is wrong?

Also, how do I get the car into "neutral" manually because I tried to push it off the driveway so I can use my 2nd car to go to work but I can't even get into neutral?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess would be that you left an internal light on in the car. The usual culprit is the light in the cargo area.

There is no way to put the car in neutral without power.

3. imagehh

imagehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope, I checked, all lights were set to go off if all the doors are closed and all were shut closed and the headlights were off as well (it turns off automatically after you set off alarm anyway). That's why this puzzles me for such a brand new car with just 5000 miles. Maybe all the driving then a sudden idle state messed up the system? We just had a big rain in So. Cali last week as well, did the battery short because it was parked outside?!

4. imagehh

imagehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's kinda scary if there's no power you can't put the car in neutral!? wow. I guess I better watch out for that!

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the car was locked by the SKS I'd believe all the lights were off. If water is shorting the battery either the engine compartment or the rear deck is flooded and the 12v would be the least of your problems. Could just be a crap battery. It's under warranty so I'd have the dealer pick it up or send the Prius Tech out, their choice.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the Gen II Prius, some of the lights don't go out when shutting the door. Are there any lights like that on the Gen III?

Tom

7. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are my ideas. Just after purchasing my III I left for an 8 day vacation. I had heard on the board some talk about dead batteries and was wondering if it would affect me. When I came back all was fine and as far as I could tell the 12V battery was very strong.

Do you have an aftermarket or port installed alarm (in addition to the keyless entry)? If yes, then there might be two things that could have happened.
    1. The rain kept setting off the alarm which could quickly kill the tiny 12v batt.
    2. The alarm has a power leak somewhere that is slowly draining power from the battery. I had this happen in a 4Runner of mine with an Alpine alarm system. I eventually had to have it swapped out for a completely different alarm.

8. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Map lights and rear cargo lights stay on indefinitely... I've left the map lights on overnight a few times.

I have not driven my Prius III for at least 7 days since I bought it (I have a motorcycle I often use for commuting -- I _can_ go in the carpool lane with that.) And never had a problem.

I have the stupid dealer installed alarm too sucking power...

Something is wrong with the car.

9. imagehh

imagehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    YES, I had the dealer install an alarm system, originally I wanted the one direct from Toyota but the dealer said they have a better system at a similar price with more features so I went for it. You think that drained out the battery?! The mobile roadside assistant just gave me an answer that the car is too new and it's not used to a complete non-driving after putting 5000 miles on in 3 months. That's crap!

10. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's possible it's the alarm but without narrowing the problem down it would be difficult to tell. The way I figured it out with my 4Runner is I pulled the fuse for the alarm and let it sit for a week and put it back and let it sit for a week. When the fuse was in my battery would die in about 3 days.

The coment about the battery not being used to not being used is BS. Batteries don't work that way.

11. PaulMCK

PaulMCK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    About 2 months after delivery I had the 12v in my 2010 V drain in 4 days as it sat in a parking garage. Turned out I'd pushed one of the dome lights on to gather interior stuff (the parking spot was dark) and then simply left it on. Doesn't take long if one does that!

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd call the alarm a Prime Suspect, and agree that the roadside assistant story is crap.

Do you have access to an ammeter to measure the alarm's current load? It should be a few 10s of mA. If it takes over 100mA, it will be a battery killer.

Because the Prius 12V battery is smaller than in most cars, an alarm drawing too much current will kill it faster.

When a coworker suffered this problem, it was a faulty installation, not a defective alarm.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't sound right.

The maplights don't have a timer on them, only the dome lights/personal lights.

Also, you have to be sure that the headlights are off (by putting them in the OFF position). It could be that you forgot and left the lights on AFTER you shut off the car. In that scenario, it won't automatically shut off. It only shuts off automatically if the headlights were on before you turned off the car prior to going on vacation.

That's just one other possibility that I'm throwing out.

14. saunj

saunj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am concerned about this on my 2010, since I expect to be away for weeks, and because I had this problem repeatably on my 2001 Prius. I measured the current on that car as 40 MA with all off, after waiting a while. I expect the gen 3 to exceed that. After the first 2 dead cases, I took to disconnecting the 12V battery during long trips. The car started normally when re-connected, but of course the clock and radio needed re-setting. On my new car, I think I will connect a trickle charger to the jump-start connections under the hood.

15. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an issue that may be directly or tangentially related: I keep a 07 Prius garaged at a separate location from my home where it may not be used for 6-10 days at a time. Lately I've had to jump the car when coming back to it after a break. The vehicle is parked in the garage located directly below the kitchen drawer where the key is stored when I'm away. It is a keyless entry fob, so I'm wondering if there is something going on there that could be the cause. Thoughts?

16. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I take it by idle you don't mean the engine was idling...

17. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just re-checked, and the cargo area light on my Gen III goes ON when I open the hatch, and goes OFF when I close the latch, locked or not. Eliminate that possibility.

18. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For those of you that are having this problem. Next time you are leaving the car for an extended period and you're sure it will be dead when you get back. Pull the fuse to the alarm before you go. You'll no for sure if it;s the alarm when you get back.

19. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Let me get this straight:

If the battery dies, you can't get the car out of Park? That's a serious problem, especially for those of us who park in a garage...

20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Gen III has a switch just above the cargo area light where you can toggle on and override the door latch, just like the dome/map lights.