1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Cost of Ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brandon, May 8, 2006.

1. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, so a "friend of a friend" of mine made an outragous claim tonight. He said the total cost of ownership (TCO) of a new Prius is higher than that of a new Chevy Suburban (you read that right - I can only assume he was drunk at the time). I, of course, called BS on the statement, but apparently in his mind the burden of proof is on the Prius owner.

So, I'm setting out to document, on paper, a comparison of the theoretical TCO of a Prius versus that of a Chevy Suburban. Any input or suggestions?

2. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ May 8 2006, 11:01 PM) [snapback]251927[/snapback]</div>
    Go to www.edmonds.com and "compare" the two vehicles. One the comparison table, click on "True cost to own"

I got:

Prius: total cost to own = $36,939, and $0.49 per mile
    Suburban (base 1500, 2 WD model) = $60,921 and $0.81 per mile

Not even close. Their comparisons take into account initial cost, depreciation, insurance, fuel, maintenance, repairs etc. And it is useful to note that Edmonds is NOT a particularly Prius or hybrid friendly website. Hoefully, for your friends sake he was drunk. The other choice is he is a blithering idiot.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excellent idea. Thanks, kingofqix.

4. LaniLobes

LaniLobes New Member

I saw something similar that suggested that if you include the cost of recycling the batteries then the SUV has a lower total cost.

My only issue with this is that the battery recycling is expensive down because of the small number of batteries being recycled. As the age of the vehicles grow and the sher number you would expect that this cost would drop significantly.

Lani

5. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Toyota warranties the batteries for 10 years so unless you keep your car longer than that the cost for new batteries is absolutely zero. I think the batteries in my Prius are likely to last as long as the useful life of the car, 15 years or more.

6. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaniLobes @ May 8 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]251950[/snapback]</div>
    HuH?? The lead-acid battery is tiny compared to a regular car and the NiMH battery isn't nearly as hazardous to handle for recycling (future Li-ion may be another story). Plus the cost to you is positive - Toyota pays a bounty of around $100 for returned batteries so the cost has already been included in your purchase.

- Tom

7. mike0422

mike0422 New Member

Are you taking into account the perks of federal tax breaks? Depending on the state or county, there are also other money saving perks, i.e. free parking, HOV use (saving time), no local taxes (personal property), etc.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Since the cost to buy a Prius is lower than that of an SUV, and the cost of gas is less for the Prius, and routine maintenance is likely to be similar, your friend must be assuming (or his source is assuming) that the Prius will cost more to repair.

This can be debunked with a look at Consumer Reports. Specifically expected reliability for Toyota vs Suburban.

As for the batteries, I believe Toyota pays $200 for returned, old HV batteries. And the Prius battery is recyclable.

And as for recycling the car when it is worn out, Toyota designed the Prius to be highly recyclable.

There was something on the internet (posted here on PC recently) that made the assertion your friend cited. Clearly bogus.

9. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaniLobes @ May 8 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]251950[/snapback]</div>

Implying that the cost of recycling the batteries from 1 Prius would be something on the order of $25,000. Yeah, right.

10. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix @ May 9 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]252151[/snapback]</div>
    Remember, that could have been coming from the mouth of a SUV owner. It's hard to face the facts when you are wrong. Especially if it's a Suburban... hahahaha....

11. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mike0422 @ May 9 2006, 08:05 AM) [snapback]252059[/snapback]</div>
    The Edmonds website does not, which makes the comparison even more ludicrous.

This type of issue (SUV vs Prius) is one those issues that really gets me. It seems some people want to go out of their way to avoid using their brains and to be completely ignorant, ignoring all evidence, data, logic and science. Another such issue is Global Warming, and all the people who continually refuse to get it.

Sorry, not a very nice rant, but it just boggles my mind.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Special PriusChat Offer -

I will gladly recycle your Prius HV batteries, in any condition. Send me the battery and $24,950. That's $50 off the regular price!

13. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ May 9 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]252258[/snapback]</div>
    Great link! I like this part from the Prius link:

INTELLICHOICE BEST IN CLASS WINNER FOR
    The Best Overall Value of the Year, Midsize under $21,000
    Top Winner for Highest Retained Value
    Top Winner for Lowest Depreciation
    Top Winner for Lowest Fuel
    Top Winner for Lowest Operating
    Top Winner for Lowest Ownership

So, not only is it cheaper than a Suburban, it is would appear it is cheaper than anything.

15. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice, jeromep. This is a fun thread. :)

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Nice links, Jeromep.

BTW, the ~ $26K difference is based on 5 year ownership. It that suits the OP's friend, he should be reminded that works out to a $433 difference PER MONTH.

Buying a 2 or 3 year old Suburban would look a lot better. But a new one ?? >>shiver<<