1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Electrical Failure - Twice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by philip hallstedt, Jan 26, 2016.

1. philip hallstedt

philip hallstedt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2008 Prius which I bought 3 weeks ago with 34k miles... yes, actual miles. It sat a lot inside and is in great shape, but believe has original battery.

So, twice in the last 2 weeks it is just "dead". started right up when I jumped it. I suspected 12V battery failure as the first time is was 0F outside. I recharged the battery and after driving, it was pronounced "find" with a 86% charge at autozone. Later, no problems for 2 weeks. I then drove 4 hours to a location and after being gone 1 hour from the car with everything shut off, it is dead again. Panel lights will not come on. The passenger window WOULD lower very slowly but no enough power for the driver's window. Jumped and once again, everything is fine.

Is this simply a new battery issue or something else? Seems strange...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sounds like you need a new 12 volt. are you familiar with prius 12v idiosyncrasies?

1) the prius 12v is smaller than most.

2) a battery sitting for a long time 'sulphates' basically causing irreparable harm.

3) there is a constant drain on a healthy prius battery, which needs to be driven a few times a week to keep it charged up.

4) if it's the original battery, just replace it. the date code is on the top.

5) there are several alternatives to the oem, make sure you get a correct fit, with vent tube.

6) don't trust the monkeys at auto zone with your car.

7) all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    DRACO likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah it definitely sounds like it just needs a new 12V battery.

You should get it done sooner rather than later, as you're pretty much dicing with death every time you have to jump start it. I know it's not exactly rocket science, but just the same you'd be amazed a how many people post here that they've screwed up their Prius's electronics with a failed jump start.

4. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    "86%", I never heard it termed like that, would be 10.75 volts if we are gauging from 12.50 volts minimum charge. That would be a severely dead battery. Once jumped, you must be running from the alternator/inverter.

Go to harbor freight and get a $5.00 Digital Volt Meter to test it yourself, plus a good idea to have one anyways. If you buy something you need and they have their sale, you can get the cheapo for free or check their site for coupons.

+1, get a new battery.

In the future, if you do not drive that much, pull the NEGATIVE side of the battery. It will keep it charged and help reduce the sulphates, down side, you will lose your radio stations and CEL data.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 12v in a Prius is no different than any other car. If you jump it once, chalk to it up to forgetting to turn off the lights. If you jump it again, then it probably is dead. What ever caused it to die the first time permanently killed it.

6. philip hallstedt

philip hallstedt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thx for the info. I replaced the battery with no issues. Simple instructions on line.

7. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oh Good :D