1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Gas savings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by scm2000, Aug 10, 2007.

1. scm2000

scm2000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I drive conservatively so lets assume I'm going 35mph on a 35mph two lane road and there is a monster truck behind me. 800 feet before me there is an intersection and the light turns red and I start slowing down and a lane opens up on the right for right turns. The monster truck driver guns it, yanks his monster truck into the right hand lane to accellerate before stopping at the light 2.75 seconds before me.

The question is am I responsible for the quart of fuel he burned?

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scm2000 @ Aug 10 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]493578[/snapback]</div>
    Good question, no clear answer. You ll get many opinions because people think in black and white. Here's how I see it: You bear SOME responsibility for it but not the primary one.

The question brings another good point, that prius-doubters often point out, that the roads would look like a mess if everyone pulsed and glided all the time. I found that driving a Prius was a pacifying experience and would think that aggressive driving would be minimized. It would take all of us a bit longer but we wouldn't have roadrage...

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scm2000 @ Aug 10 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]493578[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, you're responsible for the quarts of fuel he saved over the past few miles while he's been behind you on the road prior to approaching the light. Had you not been there pacing him, he'd have been gunning it the whole way! <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Aug 10 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]493586[/snapback]</div>
    You know, every time I think about that, I get this almost ballet like picture in my head of streets filled with Prii all pulsing in unison and then gliding silently along, MFD all reading >500 miles and 75MPG, gas stations with tumble weeds rolling by, police cars with radar and ticket books that haven't been used in ages. :wacko:

It'd make a great TV advertisment. :lol:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All together now Prii-ple:
    a-one and pulse and
    a-two and gliiiiiiddddde, and
    a-one and pulse and
    a-two and gliiiiiiddddde!

LOL!!

5. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

I doubt you'll find a person on here that says you are responsible, even if not everyone agrees.

It's not always black and white, but for the most part if you aren't breaking the law then I don't see how you are responsible for someone who does. There are times when I've been mad at people and gunned it around them. I actually probably saved gas doing so. These are the people that do like 20% or more under the speed limit the whole damn time on a one lane road. we don't need people going 30 MPH in a 45 MPH zone.

The thing is though, that they are speed LIMIT signs, NOT speed MINIMUM signs. However I think most people agree that if you are excessively under the limit that you are prohibiting traffic flow.