1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Newb: Cargo Extension?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zvanbrak, Oct 3, 2011.

1. zvanbrak

zvanbrak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys! I'm a total newb. But very excited to have recently become the owner of a 2008 Prius Touring.

Being a pretty avid outdoorsman, I tend to carry hiking boots, and all sorts of other stuff with me that has the potential to be dirty and gross, and I'm looking to protect my tan interior cargo area with a mat. I live in an apartment with no workspace, so I'm not particularly interested in making my own.

The one thing that keeps coming up when I'm looking is: "With Cargo Extension". I've probably just not done enough research to be familiar. Can someone elaborate on this option and how I'd know if I have it? I tried searching the forums, but wasn't able to locate another post- so sorry if I missed one. :)

Thanks!

2. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hitch based or roof-racked based.

I went roof-rack, since I can put full size skis and snowboards up there in a Thule rack. I've kept it on year-round since I go out camping and scuba diving.

The roof rack setup is costing me less than 2mpg meaning I never quite make it to 50mpg. I had trouble getting 42mpg with my previous 2006 Prius; now I'm in the steady 47/48mpg range with the 2010.

If what you need isn't "long" then maybe a hitch-based cargo rack (not a trailer) might be your ticket and will cost you very little MPG loss.

With the added bonus of being able to pull a small trailer on occasion, which I do. I have the smallest 4x6 Aluminum one axle, weighs 250 lbs.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  4. lolder

lolder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two guys in a plastic 12 ' kayak paddled up to the local boat ramp as we were watching this evening. They drove a Prius up to the ramp, shoved the kayak into the back all the way up over the front seat to the windshield and hooked a bungee cord to it to keep it in. It stuck out the rear about 5 feet. I yelled that they weren't burning their fare share of petroleum. They laughed and drove away. I don't know where the passenger sat.