1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total newbie - about to make the purchase - i think!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by appleguy711, Oct 11, 2008.

1. appleguy711

appleguy711 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello everyone!

Totally new here!

I am about to trade in my 2005 Acura TL, with 53,000 miles on it. I love this car so much, but it costs me between 250-400 a month in gas to fill it.

I also found out i would save 20 bucks a month on car insurance as well. So really i estimate my new gas bill will be 125-200 a month. That sound reasonable?

I also am not really to sure which options I want. I decided on color - i think. I am leaning on black :)

Another question: How many others have gone from "luxury sedans" to a prius? Was it difficult? Regrets? Was it hard for you to make this decision as well? I would love to hear from each and everyone of you.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

2. appleguy711

appleguy711 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What options did you or did you not get?

Curious here about some options - has someone created a thread about what options were worth it, and which ones you would rather just aftermarket?

Thanks!!!

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been several threads on what options to get, but usually it comes down to customer preference. I have package 1 (the lowest available), and I'm just fine with it. Others say you shouldn't even consider a car without VSC, and some need their built-in DVD navigation system, or bluetooth voice recognition, SKS, backup-camera etc. I only know of leather seats and GPS navigation as being common aftermarket options as well as Toyota options, and there are threads discussing both of those. There's a BT Stiffening plate you can buy that's supposed to improve the cornering, but this might have made a more noticeable difference on pre-2006 cars that apparently had weaker stiffening plates.

Coming from an upmarket car, you probably would appreciate the Touring option, with the better suspension/wheels, although it might knock off 2 mpg. I had a Subaru Outback before this, and I thought I'd miss the space and the AWD, at least in the winter. And I did, for all of about 2 months. Warmer weather hit, my mileage went up, and I haven't looked back since. But I do remember a guy griping about the handling and acceleration and this and that. Then he listed his other cars that he had driven, and they all started at $40K and up. The Prius starts at $23K, after that it's comfort options, but for the handling and performance, just remember it's a $23K car.

On the plus side, you have the multi-function display showing the mileage in 5-minute blocks and for the tank (or last reset), and that becomes like a video game, trying to beat your last mileage. You concentrate on your driving techniques every bit as much as in a sports car, just for a different purpose (if you're into that kind of thing, some people just drive it without much regard for mileage and still do pretty good). It sounds like you put on enough miles and you live in a warm climate so you should get pretty decent mileage (above 45 mpg overall if you can keep it mostly below 65 mph would be a quick guess). But the climate brings up another point - why own a black car in Houston? I like the darker colors, but black is hard to keep looking good, and it does get hot.

For your gas bill, that could be right. Does your Acura use premium gas?

4. appleguy711

appleguy711 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it!

I am still learning to navigate the forums, so i will hopefully come across what options and packages were really of value.

My TL is a really nice car, i drive it like i am in the indi 500 on occasion, but then again, the car is sort of tuned and is meant to be stomped on.

I am one of those people who wakes up in different moods and cant decide on color. I have ruled out the seaside pearl, driftwood pearl for sure.

How I came to black - i go out out at night and partake in the houston bar scene/ dinner scene / lounges / coffee shops. I always notice a squeeky clean black car. I dont do any driving between the hours of 8:30 am and 3pm; so i think the heat wont be an issue.

Backup second color choice is white.

I also have a slight tickle in me to get a loud color, like red / spectra blue / pine mica.

I imagine i will be driving on the freeways at 70mpg. One of my friend's baby's his and drives 60 mpg in the fast lane in houston and gets honked at.
    I just kinda laugh at him while i am in the car and ask that he note get me killed.