1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Total Noob - what do I need to know

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Birdums, May 31, 2007.

1. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I should be picking up my new Prius tomorrow. I've been reading here for several days, and drove an '05 last weekend, but I do not know if I could have missed something. I know there is a break-in period. I'm a bit confused about the bladder thing - I'm looking for a concise explanation of what I need to be cautious of on that one, and why. I need to be able to explain it to hubby, as he usually pumps gas for me (the fumes give me severe headaches). He's even more mechanically challenged than I am - he missed most of the teen 'car period' recovering from a car accident which put him in a 7-week coma, then was too busy trying to learn to do things like walk to get back into the groove. So we're a pretty clueless pair.

I really want to treat my new baby right... right from the start. Any advice? What should I make sure the dealer has done before I drive it off the lot?

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Hi and Welcome to Priuschat

The bladder in the gas tank is really not a problem, just when filling the tank DO NOT force more into the tank when it shuts off on it's own it's done dont keep trying to pump more.
    Some times it's hard to get gas to go in, it may be the pump you are using is faulty try a different station.
    use 87 octane no need to use the expensive stuff it was made to use 87 oct. if it's an 05 it is probably broke in already. Make sure the oil level is not over filled before driving it, alot of dealers will over fill the oil if too full have them remove some oil to the proper level on the dip stick NOT ABOVE the marks on the stick.

I am sure others will give some pointers to ya also.

Enjoy it

3. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

I wish I would have driven my Prius off the lot and straight to a place that installs the clear protector film to the front end. On the highway this thing is a magnet for rock chips and dings. :(

Increase your tire pressure to 42 front, 40 rear. I did this at the start of my last tank, and over the last 325 miles, I'm getting a 4-5 mpg boost. I wish I'd listened to this advice sooner.

And, I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you both read the manual. :)

http://priuschat.com/index.php?autocom=art...rticle&id=3

4. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Gotta say I love your name. Very clever.

Nothing really clever you need to do. For the first 600 miles, dont push it. Dont accelerate very hard, dont brake hard. Might also want to keep it mostly under 80 as well.

At the dealership, I would ask them to check for alignment, as well as make sure the tires are correctly inflated. Thats all i can think of. Really important that you ask them to check the alignment, heard several pri drivers had problems with their new pri....might be confused with another car...but still make sure they check the alignment.

5. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

I filled up our '07 Touring for the first time today. I expected trouble after reading all the posts here, but I treated it like our other car and it filled up just fine.

I think part of the problem is that Prius drivers want to micromanage their fuel consumption and make sure it's "all the way full". Also, some fuel pumps have oversensitive cutoffs. I've had that problem several times filling up my VW Golf and had to settle for a partial fill or switch to a different pump. It's not just a Prius problem...

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use the slowest setting on the gas pump... the first ridge thing. When it shuts off, that's it. Don't even bring it up to the next dime!!
    If possible, use Shell gas. Don't use gas from the cheaper cut-rate stations.
    So far, we've been using gas from the same station, and from the very same PUMP at that station, since we bought our Prius... consistency helps.
    Oh, and get a little logbook for your Prius. Manually keep track of the mileage and gas mileage (I list the ODO miles, the elapsed miles, the gallons of gas, what the MFD says the mileage was, and then what the hand calculator says the mileage was). I bought a cute little notebook for it at a bookstore. It fits in the upper glove box :)
    Don't use cruise control much, if at all, for the first 600 miles or so. Expect that every 100 miles, your gas mileage will gain a little, as the car breaks in.
    At 5000 miles, first oil change, put a good synthetic oil in it. If you have a dealer or shop do it, take in your own oil, 3.5 quarts. Check the dipstick yourself before you leave the shop to make sure that it is NOT above the FULL mark.
    Read everything in this forum :D

7. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just drive and enjoy. Its just a car, not some wierd alien machine. My wife is afraid to drive mine. She has driven it exactly twice in a year and a half. Seriously, don't overfill the gas, but thats true for all cars. Its wasteful and bad for the environment when it spills out. The low ground clearance makes steep driveways a challenge (scraping the front airdam), but lots of other cars do this. Look out for freeway debris. A tire tread did $1300 damage to mine two weeks from new. Most of all, just enjoy it.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My hint will give you knowledge to answer many questions on this forum for others like yourself.

Just take some time and read the owners manual, lot of answers in there, for anything else there's PriusChat.

Wayne

9. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ May 31 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]453005[/snapback]</div>
    I have never heard of this film... is it like a bra, only clear?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Jun 1 2007, 04:30 AM) [snapback]453109[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. It just came to me; i don't know why, as I've never seen the movie. And we started referring to the car as DuPree within a few hours of ordering it :)

DuPree didn't arrive today :( We are hoping he shows up tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice, especially about alignment.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You me and da Pri @ Jun 1 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]453565[/snapback]</div>
    It's like shrinkwrap. Here is a site:

http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/products.asp

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Review and take with you a copy of the pickup checklist:
    http://www.vfaq.net/docs/pickup_checklist.html
    Essentially nothing has changed since 2004, except maybe they don't give out valet instruction cards anymore...?

Spend a half-hour reading the relevant sections of the owner's manual before you leave the dealer's lot.

For some reason Toyota still says to add 3.9 US quarts of oil during an oil change even though this leaves the oil level above the FULL mark on the dipstick and it is known that overfilling can cause problems. Experience shows that 3.5 quarts is the real-world maximum, and 3 quarts is plenty (it leaves the oil level about halfway between ADD and FULL).