1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Totaled!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by perryma, Mar 14, 2009.

1. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok this is not really much of a new thread but more of an announcement. I am fine but I was in a wreck tonight (just got back from ER) and totaled my car. Someone drove straight through a red light and slammed right into my side. Fortunately they hit solid in the front panel. Half a second difference and it would have been square in my door and it would probably been aloha for me. I did hit my head on the door frame really hard. My airbags in front went off but for some reason my side airbags didn't. The best part and the real Friday the 13th part is that the other driver has no insurance. I am sooo sore right now but I know the oxycodone will kick in any minute. I am going to miss my little golf cart.:mad:

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so sorry. But I'm glad you're ok.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A car is replaceable, you aren't. I'm glad you're OK. Let us know more when you can.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry for this bit of news but very happy you're OK! :cheer2:

Wildkow

p.s. Head injuries are nasty be careful and be alert for any of these signs for the next week or so please.

Changes in, or unequal size of pupils
    Convulsions
    Distorted features of the face
    Fluid draining from nose, mouth, or ears (may be clear or bloody)
    Fracture in the skull or face, bruising of the face, swelling at the site of the injury, or scalp wound
    Impaired hearing, smell, taste, or vision
    Inability to move one or more limbs
    Irritability (especially in children), personality changes, or unusual behavior
    Loss of consciousness, confusion, or drowsiness
    Low breathing rate or drop in blood pressure
    Restlessness, clumsiness, or lack of coordination
    Severe headache
    Slurred speech or blurred vision
    Stiff neck or vomiting
    Symptoms improve, and then suddenly get worse (change in consciousness)

5. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ugh! Glad to hear you're okay.

The police at least nabbed the driver, right? Did you have uninsured motorist coverage? Are you getting another Prius?

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Arrr bugga!
    What a hassle.
    Glad to hear your OK, I hope the bruises clear quickly.
    Take care and try to have someone around all the time for a few days,
    someone needs to keep an eye on you for a few days.
    Odd that the curtain airbag failed to deploy. Look at the bright side, you don't need to replace it! Or do you?
    I hope you replace your Prius with a Prius.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Drivers with no insurance piss me off!

Glad to hear you are okay.

8. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been there, done that - but not in a Pruis. I'm really sorry for your hassle, but glad you're OK. Let us know how you're doing later. Take care.

9. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On the bright side Totaled means you don't have to end up with questionable repairs on a complicated car.

I bet you can get a good deal now on a new one.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Kow, take a good look again at the symptoms you listed. Now take a good look at perryma's avatar. It's my guess that perryma will have some or most of these symptoms on any given weekend morning. :D

In all seriousness, good that you are okay perryma. There are a lot of dumb a$$ drivers running around out there. Perhaps there is a new 2010 in your future.

Tom

11. PriusinSeattle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Serious bummer for you - seems like lousy drivers and no insurance often go together. At least you're OK - and your little buggy mostly protected you, eh? Might be a good idea to let Toyota know that the side are bags failed?

Wishing you a speady recovery.

Donny

12. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is the party over? Yep, that is kinda how my head feels this morning and my neck is killing me...but I am ok. I do wish my side bags had gone off just so I could have seen what they look (and my head might not be hurting so bad). All I can say is that I can't get over the fact that a second difference would have been curtains for me. I may have to go back to a Volvo now cause I am a little gun shy. I will miss the gas mileage though. Who knows? A lot is going to depend on what my insurance will give me for my car. I did have a lot of miles (90?)but my last two tanks were 50 and 51 and Toyota had checked my batteries and said they were still perfect. Does anyone know what happens to you car once it is totaled? Do I still own it? Does the insurance company own it ?

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once that happens, it's pretty much too late...that's a late sign of brain herniation usually onset well after coma begins. People come in all the time thinking there's some terrible think happening b/c they looked in the mirror and think their pupils are unequal. If you are capable of looking in the mirror and assessing your pupils...you're OK.

Again, late sign and usually only related to immediate injury or very severe injury.

? Not even sure what that's getting at, but it's not part of any head injury instruction I've ever given.

This will be present with a basilar skull fracture from a very serious blow to the head and should have been present when in the ER, it doesn't present as a late sign in minor head injuryt.

Lots of people get swelling, not sure how you're supposed to know if you have a skull fx.
    Another weird one, none of which are common to head injury.
    Seen much more with stroke or spinal cord injury. unsteady gait, confusion, vision changes, severe headache and vomiting are really what you need to look for.
    I agree with these
    Yes, LOC would be worrisome, confusion as well. Drowsiness is a common sign of post concussion and is too non-specific to be of concern without other evidence of serious injury.

worthless advice, slow breathing (how slow??) would be another late sign of herniation and typically too rapid breathing occurs with early herniation...again, you're so sick before either of these happen that you'll be at the hospital or near death.
    Ok, restlessness isn't as big of a deal without some other sign, but lack of coordination is a common sigh of developing head bleed sometimes.
    absolutely
    slurred speach yes, blurred vision...maybe, maybe not. Pretty much every concussion has some blurry vision at times, but if it's severe or there's double vision then I'm more concerned.
    Nah, that's a sign of neck injury, but not head injury.
    Lots of people have nausea with concussions, and maybe a little vomiting that's mild once or twice. But projectile vomiting, repeated vomiting or severe vomiting esp. with a bad headache you need to be rechecked and probably have a CT scan.
    this is getting at an epidural hematoma. But typically this is someone who gets knocked out, wakes up, feels OK, then 1-2 hours later has a sudden deterioration with symptoms I point out that are important above (ie, severe HA, severe Vomiting, unsteady gait, confusion). Just slowly getting worse over days is more likely muscle if none of the above symptoms are present.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh no- i'm glad you're ok!

15. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the insurance company decides the car is uneconomic to repair, they will declare it a total writeoff. They then own the car. However, a colleague of mine managed to buy the car back off the insurer when they totalled it for (allegedly) about £1,000 of damage - the assessment is normally done comparing book value of the vehicle with the cost of fitting new parts. If you can get hold of second-hand or substitute parts cheaper than the dealer's prices, you may manage an economic repair.

Still, if the vehicle's frame has been damaged, I'd be happier with a new car.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not me. I just make a mental note not to drink so much

As far as the car, they can always be replaced. I've never given a backwards glance to a totaled car. Odd how every crash I've been in, some other asshat blew a red light or stop sign and t-boned me

Except that time I was at a red light, minding my business, and was rear ended. The woman who rear ended me wasn't even that good looking, either ...

17. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hang tough perry --
    The insult thread is ready whenever you are!

Janis should be sending you some muffins once she reads this ....

18. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh man perryma. :( I'm sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad you're ok! Keep us posted.

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL! :pound: I think I have some of those symptoms this morning! :nod:

Wildkow

p.s. perry listen to the doc I just cut and pasted those from the internet. I was worried because years ago I had a close acquaintance die a week after head trauma.

20. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey perryma... Sorry to hear of your accident but glad you're ok! Feel better soon because I've been saving up insults....