1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Totaled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by froSTed, Jul 20, 2005.

1. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Be very careful when turning left! My 2004 Prius was T-Boned on the passenger side at 20 mph. The side airbag blew on the passenger side and the rear door was dented. This was a "total loss" and the car was scrapped. They said that it would have been repairable if the airbag didn't blow. Let that be a lesson to all of you, side airbags may cost you your car!

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    :? :( :cry: :pukeleft: :pukeright: :roll: :cussing: :crazyeyes: :| :!: :letitout: :evillaugh: :evil: :Wth: :x

RIPrius :angel:

3. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

Sorry about your accident; it's good to hear you're ok though. It's too bad about your vehicle being totaled. I'm sorry to hear that the side curtain airbags cost you your car. However, I'd much rather take that over no side curtain airbags costing me my life.
    Good luck with your new car search
    Flyingprius

4. popoff

popoff New Member

So can I assume you will get a new car out of it? Was there a passenger or did the airbag open unnecessarily? Personally, I'd rather lose an airbag than take a chance on being injured or killed.

FWIW, I totalled an Audi once, sliding on ice at less than 5 mph in a head on encounter with a concrete block wall. The air bags did not even go off.

5. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I got a used Scion XB out of it. Piece of crap.
    There was no passenger, no one injured.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Glad you're okay!

Used Priuses sell for over MSRP in SoCal. I'm surprised you didn't get a settlement close to a new car cost.

I'm also a bit surprised the side airbag goes off with no one in the seat--wouldn't the seat sensor know this?

7. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sorry to hear about you loss, and glad to hear that noone was injured. All you got out of it was a used Scion xB??? What kind of settlement did your insurance company offer you? Shouldn't you have been able to get enough to buy another new Prius?

8. smasho

smasho New Member

Condolences on the Prius but always remember that the only thing that counts in a wreck is whether or not anybody was hurt. (Call me spleenless in Portland)

On the matter of getting stuck with the Scion, something doesn't add up here. Kelly shows an '04 base with 30K miles should sell for about 22K in Raleigh. What insurance company was involved, what was their offer, and why was it so low? Please let us know the company as I don't want to deal with them in the future. :pukeright:

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you have something sitting in the passenger seat? A shopping bag maybe? Those aren't supposed to go off unless there's someone sitting in the seat there... [edit- or if there's more than a few pounds of stuff on the seat which the sensor will assume is a person...]

I will personally be putting my backpack on the floor from now on.

And please let us know about insurance details. I would like to know which company to avoid! Poor you, stuck with a used xB after owning a beautiful Prius! I hope you'll eventually be able to own another.

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Airbag deployments = $$$$$

But really, who is your insurance agency??

11. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use State Farm.
    They did not give me enough to replace the Prius with a new Prius and there were no used ones available at the time, all the new ones were 24 to 26 so I was stuck.
    At the time of the accident the passenger seat was empty.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Airbags are expensive to replace

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a random question, if you are in an accident (NOT AT FAULT) and your car is TOTALED, your insurance does NOT go up right?

What if your car is STOLEN and reported TOTALED.... does your insurance go up now? If so, about by how much?

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so there was nothing in the seat, at all?? i thought the airbags weren't supposed to go off unless there was something/someone in the passenger seat! i will have to do some investigation. hmm. guess i will be avoiding state farm then. sorry to hear about that.

silentak1, your premium will probably go up even if the accident is someone else's fault. just having been in an accident makes you a higher risk because you should have avoided it using your amazing evasive driving tactics that everyone should have... :roll:

they always make it out to be partly your fault somehow and raise your rates.

stolen vehicles raise everyone's insurance rates. yours will go up but i don't know by how much.

15. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks galaxee, very helpful!

16. froSTed

froSTed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The side airbags had blown, there was nothing at all in the seat, I was headed to a doctor's appointment at the time.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a quick thing. I just found out, if you're hit on the side, the side airbag will go off even if there's nothing in your seat.

The only airbag that's under control of that sensor is the front airbag on the dash.

Anyway, frosted, sorry to hear about you losing your car. Maybe you can find something better than that Scion?

18. smasho

smasho New Member

Silentak1 and Galaxee - Just because you've had an accident that's not your fault your rates shouldn't go up. Unfortunately I've probably had more experience with accidents and insurance companies than most folks here.

I earned the nickname Smasho years ago when I had five not-at faults in four years. Two of my cars were totaled and two of the other driver's cars were totaled. I spent eleven days in the hospital (seat belts do not prevent all foreseeable injuries). One of these involved an underinsured motorist claim. My rates did not go up.

More recently My '02 BMP (that's a hard color to match) was rear ended twice (and I don't have a cute butt) and my wife was rear ended once (she does have a cute butt) My rates did not go up.

My insurance company is Safeco and we pay less than most people I know here. If your state has "no-fault" all bets are off.

Drive carefully (and tell me how to get this target off of my back).

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In my home state the lest amount of fault you can have is 5%. So even if you get hit by someone running a red light it is your fault, in part, for being there at the wrong place at the wrong time. Rates do go up that way.

I should check into the laws here since I am now driving a brand new car...

20. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"109515)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:3098b7ae1f]And campaign with your local elected officials for fair insurance! It is not in any fair way your fault if you are the innocent victim.[/font:3098b7ae1f]