1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch screen not working after carplay upgrade attempt (11.6" gen 4)

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by beef jiggles, Jul 23, 2024 at 10:09 AM.

1. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Curious if anyone has come across this.

I am in the middle of swapping the LCD screen only from my 2017 unit into a 2020+ carplay unit with a broken LCD screen.

I basically disassembled the units separating the "computer" and satelite radio portions from the screens/trim and swapped them.

The screens appear to be identical and have the same connectors. However, neither unit works when I hook them up to test.

Wondering if I messed something up, or if this is simply not possible. Does anyone know?

Both units turn on, the screen lights up, volume buttons/hvac buttons to right/left are operable. Everything works except I get no response on the touchscreen if I press it.

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Wrong forum(it should have gone into the gen4 section), but the problem is likely that they just won't work together. To fix the 2020 unit, I think you're going to need a replacement screen from an identical unit. I remember TheCarCareNut talking about how finicky the head units could be in one of his videos, but I have no idea which one it was(it was a small section of a video about a completely different topic - which I don't remember).

I believe there's going to be a number printed on either the front of the unit or maybe on a side. You're going to need to find a screen from a matching unit with a matching number. Just because it's from the same model year, or it has the same part number, is no guarantee. It sounded like this was a frustrating issue even for trained Toyota techs.

But take this all with a grain of salt since I have no direct experience with the issue and am going off of a half remembered video I watched over a year ago.