1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch Screen Trouble

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tillyvick14, Jul 1, 2012.

1. tillyvick14

tillyvick14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a 2009 Prius with 65,000 miles and have recently noticed sensitivity trouble with the touch screen. At times it will not react to my button presses and other times if I touch one part of the screen the touch will be registered in another area of the screen. Usually I turn the screen off (if I am able to get the touch of the off button to register) and restart later. It's possible that this could be due to the heat in New Mexico but I haven't experienced this problem in the summer time before (I am the original owner). Has anyone experienced something similar?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't noticed this particular problem but it does sound like your MFD will need replacement eventually.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How often do you use a windshield heat shade? You don't let the sun beat that MFD up all day do you? In NM?

They sell the custom windowshield shade here at PC. I have had mine for almost 5 years. Best shade ever. Very thick & insulated and custom fit. They also sell a shade for the MFD on eBay that goes over the top of the MFD screen. I got one and its great.

I don't let the car sit for more than 2 minutes without the shade in the window. 5 years later Dash looks band new and interior heat is way down. High cabin heat is really hard on the Hybrid battery.

4. Freesia577

Freesia577 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just posted about this same problem in my 07 Prius. Problem happened a few times, with intermittent periods of working ok, and now doesn't respond except at described in post. I do use a windshield shade when it's hot here, but it doesn't get that hot most of the time. Haven't bitten the bullet to have it checked at the dealer yet....

5. tillyvick14

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you for all the responses. It turned out that my touch screen was registering my touches in the wrong area of the screen and thus simply needed to be recalibrated. The dealership was able to take care of this pretty easily and at no charge (possibly because I have the extended warranty and the touch screen is a covered component). The service department acted like the need for recalibration is a relatively common issue.

6. tillyvick14

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Well a couple of weeks later the touch screen issues have resurfaced and the dealership is going to replace the MFD. Luckily I have the extended warranty - it is difficult to believe that the MFD is a $6,000 part! Does it contain the entire hybrid computer system? I'm curious what makes it comprise approximately 1/4 of the car's total price.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you didn't have an extended warranty then a reasonable solution would be to buy a used unit from a salvage yard for a few hundred $.

The MFD is basically just a display and doesn't contain much computing power.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, hard to believe, because it definitely is *not* a $6,000 part! If you are not a DIY person, then you definitely need another shop, and never go back to them. I would look up PC user seilerts:
    seilerts | PriusChat in Santa Fe. He is one of the more helpful voices here.

I read many posts about the Stealerships and exaggerated prices, but this is over the top.

9. tillyvick14

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you for the input on this, I will double check what the dealership told me but I remember it being thousands of dollars. They also had to order the MFD and said they never keep them in stock.

10. Freesia577

Freesia577 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had the same problem with our 07 Prius, and ended up having to replace the entire unit (without an extended warranty). However the dealer we work with offered the option of a reconditioned unit, so the cost was about $1600 with installation ($1500 for unit) versus $6000. Doesn't seem right that a major system like this would go out on a 5 year old car with only 30K miles on it. I was advised that if Toyota ever issues a recall on these MFDs, I would be able to get a refund for the cost of replacement.