1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch Screen Troubles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Taebopro18, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Taebopro18

Taebopro18 Prius Curious :-)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I test drove a IV with nav yesterday. Overall is was GREAT, but I did notice that the touch screen wasn't working so well. When typing in an address, it took many presses for it to accept a letter. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, is there a way to correct this?

2. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's just plain poor quality as far as I'm concerned... typical of Toyota built-in nav system and so many other car makers... I was so disappointed with the nav system in my Odyssey that I promised myself not to invest any money on built-in nav systems anymore before extensive research and I guarantee you that after reading reviews for nav systems for several car makers, very few come with systems better than portable Gamins (or similar), even luxury cars... trust me.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I believe what you experienced is not a problem with the touch screen. Instead, what is happening is a time-delay due to the access/search time required for the Nav system to access information on the DVD.

I've experienced the same issue, and it appears to happen when entering a street name, particularly early on in the entry of the name. From what I've seen, the screen needs to refresh before you can enter the next character. Sometimes the delay can be one or two seconds, and that is enough time to be pressing the screen several times.

The upside of this is that the system's immediate search feature allows for more anticipatory results. In turn, this brings the total entry time down. In order for it to happen without frustration, you need to wait until the screen refreshes after each entry. I don't know whether this would happen with an HDD system (I doubt it), but then we don't have that available to us . . .

So far, I've found the new Nav to be quite a step up from the one I had on the '07. I haven't had enough time with it to find other faults -- for instance, it hasn't balked at any addresses. I should say "yet" in that sentence, because even our Garmin 660 has rejected what have later turned out to be real addresses. Only time will really tell.

2 people like this.
  4. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The touch screen works fine. DVD lag is what you were experiencing.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The feature causing the lag is called "incremental search", which updates the search character by character.

Tom

2 people like this.
  6. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed this as well, but once you have entered a few more letters, the choices left will be very accurate. As a result, I feel that this does search better and quicker than either my TomTom or the Garmin I am upgrading from.

Now that I understand why the delays are there, I don't mind the slowness at times as much. Overall, I would say that I really like the Navi. (And is much better than the one in my Odyssey.)