1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touch Tracer Display comes on randomly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lyle Ryan, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Lyle Ryan

Lyle Ryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2010 II, the Touch Tracer Display comes on randomly. I'm talking about the two round menu displays that mimic the menu buttons on the steering wheel

Sometimes touching the plastic around the "trip/display" button will do it. But I've kept my hands clearly away from the buttons and seen the displays turn on several times in a few miles. Other times the symptom is dormant for most of a city trip.

Usually takes ~10seconds to turn off, and the "trip" menu choice is almost always illuminated.

I assume it's something for Toyota Service, and can't find any forum posts that mention this, but any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks...Lyle

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like your Trip/Display button may be sticking. I know I use those two buttons a lot along with the audio volume button.

IIRC there have been posts on here about how to remove the middle of the steering wheel to access these buttons. I think it had to do with those that were replacing the Nav units and had issues with these buttons not working with the replacement Nav units.

Try searching for Nav replacement or something along those lines.

3. Lyle Ryan

Lyle Ryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota dealer says I need part # 84250-47200-BO at a cost of $707 plus labor. 8-O They did not say that would fix my problem for sure.

I guess I'll try finding a switch panel from a car that's being parted out.

Thanks...Lyle

4. Lyle Ryan

Lyle Ryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone know how to remove the steering wheel air-bag on a 2010? Once I get that out, I guess the link I have above will show me the rest.

And now I'm convinced it's the switch, not anything deeper. When I *very* lightly touch the Trip button, the screen display pops up with the Trip light on, and the display stays on until the Trip light goes out...then the display quickly exits. All the other 7 buttons need a real push, not a light glance.

Thanks...Lyle