1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touching HV contacts while Orange Plug In?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fragglestickcar, Aug 25, 2024 at 7:28 AM.

1. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can someone explain how the narrator is so comfortable touching various parts of the battery while the orange plug is still engaged? I guess he merely hovered his hand over the relay points, but he seems so assured. Context: I'm getting a P0AFA (low voltage hybrid system) four months after installing new OEM battery, and am needing to measure voltages.

2. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    it's kind of crazy that most you tube videos show you how dangerous it is to deal with the HV batteries, you need special gloves.. this and that.. but in reality the design was really safe unless you're stupid enough to deliberately touch the high voltage points that are live. Anyway those are for liability concerns (you won't get sued for the instructions) Most people (including me) don't even wear special gloves to handle it (I'm not saying you should do too) because we know what we're doing. Anyway he's just touching the body and not holding the 2 HV terminals, even then the 2 outermost terminals are not live (relay activated by the car) Removing that plug only disconnects the HV battery to 110v each halves, so there's still voltage in there that could kick you.