1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touchscreen Flashing On and Off while Warming Up

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Blur02, Jan 7, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Blur02

Blur02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy, Prius Chat!

I have a 2002 Prius and over the last few months my touchscreen has started doing something new. When I turn the key in the morning, no matter what temperature it is outside, the screen flickers. Everything is functional and I can change radio stations and things of that nature, but the screen flashes a bit for about 4 minutes until everything "levels out" and the screen looks like it always has.

I feel like the flickering might be getting longer over time, but I can't back that up with data.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and/or a solution?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah it sounds like the screen is just going bad The lamination part and all of that stuff the way it's made I can't duplicate that exact problem but in the generation twos this seems to happen quite a bit if the car sits in the sun a lot with the sun beating on the plastic of the screen I've seen them peeled off and really destroyed pretty badly and that nets you a pretty bad display all kinds of electrical funny business seems to start after that but I don't know much about a generation one at all I like the look but I'll probably never be able to have one just too much work and too far out of the range.

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah, they go out. The one on my daily driver is going out now. Worse when it's cold outside. I start the car cold and can't see anything on the display, but after a few minutes, I can restart and it will come back. I think it's the sun as well, in some cases, others might just be mileage. I have several that the screens work perfectly.

4. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah mine stopped working a couple a months ago. It lights up but it's just a big amber color. I'm not even trying to change it. I can't tell what radio station is playing. Lucky for me I just use my bluetooth for music. Toyota should've made that cover of a different material. The sun really fries it up.

5. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I 'm wondering if an upholstry shop for cars can probably make that piece for our cars out of a material that allows us to fix and replace the screen from our dash.

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Maybe it can be printed. In a recent post here, someone was going to order one. Not sure how that worked out. I thought they were out of stock.

I'm not positive, but I think the whole dash comes off if you also take the steering wheel off. That might let you get to the bezel from the backside. IIRC, the upper clips have metal backing that can maybe be removed from the back and then put back on when the bezel is off.