1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tough Choice: Which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pjconner, Feb 27, 2006.

1. pjconner

pjconner New Member

Ok, I am faced with a tough choice. Both cars are local and approx. the same price. Here are the details.

2005 Salsa Red/ Tan
    Package 5
    5,000 miles

2005 White/Grey
    Package 6
    15,000 miles
    Clear bra
    6/100k extended warranty

I really want the navigation in car #2, but prefer the interior and exterior color of car #1. What do you think?

Thanks,

Patrick

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nav can be added at any time, color change is much harder. Red one also has 10k less mileage and you like the color. Go for it if the price is great, but remember when doing the numbers that an 06 gets you a $3150 tax credit .

(FWIW, our friends have the Garmin GPS unit and are happy with it.)

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the white and like it a lot and the GPS is sweet. I have had better GPS systems but this one gets you there and has phone dialing features as well as voice control. I believe you can still get the warranty on the first one.

What ever you decide I know you will have fun with it. :lol:

Wildkow

p.s. you can always get a portable GPS also.

4. Springtime

Springtime Member

Local? You did not give your location - it makes a difference in recommendations. Both of these cars appear to be "used" and therefore will not qualify for a fed tax credit (that is worth $3150 for most of us.)

And, what is your cost??? I bought a new 2005 pkg #6 on 1/2/06 for $26K plus tax and tags. When you add the tax and tags and subtract federal and PA tax credits my final cost was under $24K. I could have bought a new 2006 pkg #6 for the same price. I chose the 2005 pkg #6 because I wanted the NAV but it was out of my price range in the 2006.

The price of a used 2005 pkg #6 or a used 2006 pkg #6 would have to be well below $24K including tax and tags for me to even consider either car over buying a new one at this point in time. There is no shortage of Prius in the NorthEast. There are still a few new 2005's sitting on dealer lots and plenty of 2006's.

Once the full tax credit is history it is a different story.

Springtime

5. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I love my salsa 05 with pkg 6. The red does show every scratch though. I love the nav package. You can get a hand held GPS unit but the voice commands, phone system, stereo/cd changer are really nice to have.

6. Springtime

Springtime Member

I misread the original post - both cars are used 2005's. I originally thought you were comparing a 2005 w/ NAV to a 2006 without Nav. Since both are used 2005's my only comment is that leftover new 2005's are going for $1000 - $1500 below MSRP and you may also be entitled to the federal tax credit if you buy new. The used cars would have to be around $22K - $23K with tax and tags to get me to consider either car.

Springtime

7. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I think car #2 is the obvious choice. I don't care for the tan interior - have you seen how easily it can get dirty? Maybe you don't have kids or a dog.

Go with whatever makes you happy. If the extra $1000 worth of warranty is bundled into the same price, I think that's another reason to take the pkg 6. If you plan on holding onto the car for several years, the 10k miles difference won't mean much.

8. ajrowell

ajrowell New Member

I would buy an 06, assuming you can get one in your area, for the simple reason of the tax credit. It is simple, take delivery of a new one and drive it until next march or april ( the month your refund comes in). Or you can change your with-holding and go ahead and recognize your tax credit now. Nevertheless, you sell the 06, you will get in a few months (depending on the area), next march or april. By then the demand for the Prius will still be high, but fading as more competitors and more prii on the road. Now you will have drove the 06, a brand new car, for a year and sold it for what you are about to burn on a USED 05. So now you are in the same boat next march as you are in now once you factor in the tax credit and paying off the loan. Then, next march, you go and buy a 2005 model with 30K (perhaps the white one above) for about $17500 since the price will be dropping rapidly due to Toyotas increased production of Prii and of course other manufacturers joining in the hybrid market. Also remember the tax legislation goes through 2009 and allows 60K vehicles for every manufacturer. So next March, instead of buying that 2005 Prii, buy a nissan or mazda hybrid which will be available. Then get another tax credit, although it won't be as high since those vehicles will not be as efficient as the Prius. That is a 2 minute tax consulting session. Hope it helps.

The bean counter from Atlanta

9. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

The word is that you have to keep the car for 3 years otherwise you need to give back the credit (prorated)

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The package 6 is a better buy. It's already got the clear bra, which is about $800. The difference in mileage is small. And it's got the extended warranty. The resale value on the #6 will be higher than the #5 as well. You don't mention any kind of price incentives I.E. lower prices on either of these.

Is there a reason you're going with a used '05?

The '06 will get you a straight out $3,100 kick back on your taxes. So if an '06 is less than $3,100 over what you'd pay for either of these cars, it would be better to buy a new '06. You don't get anything for buying used. (Except a lower price tag...or you should.)

If you like red, that's okay. I've got the ivory interior and I think the gray is so much better, not only in looks but also in how it will hold up. The ivory gets dirty faster. I think it will "age" and look dingy faster as well.

11. ajrowell

ajrowell New Member

Where is this "word" coming from. The goal of this tax credit is to get more hybrids on the road. Therefore I doubt the IRS is going to sanction time constraints, except for the calender year 2006. The calender year is how every other asset is accounted for using "tax basis" accounting. I could understand a tax law, stating an individual can only take one alternative vehicle tax credit in three years but not this pro rated stuff. That means they would have to audit each person after they have paid out your tax credit. Which would be another 200000 audits just for 2007 and 2008 for the IRS on hybrids that were bought in 2006 since Toyota will sell 60K, Honda 60K, Ford several K, and GM a few.......so call it 200K extra audits. I seriously doubt this pro rated stuff will happen, maybe the rule that a individual can only claim one AFV tax credit every 3 or 5 years. Only time will tell.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i have an 05 pk 5. i love it. didn't see a need for things like NAV and HID lights. i see just fine at night, and know how to use a map. ;)

13. pjconner

pjconner New Member

OK, here is the deal. I went and looked at the red car with package #5 and it has had body/paint work. No longer an option.

I will go with the white '05 with package #6.

I have negotiated the price to $23,000. I live in Arizona and the market here is higher than some parts of the country. New cars are selling for MSRP and no less.

Unfortunately I do not qualify for the tax credits due to AMT (that sucks, but not a bad problem to have i suppose.)

Additionally, I will not pay any sales tax on the white car. In AZ if you buy from an individual you don't pay tax.

I have driven the white car and met with the owner for a while. Good guy, no stories, well maintained etc. I do like the clear bra. Additionally he had fabric seat covers made for the front seats, so the original interior is brand new.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Patrick

14. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you made the right choice once you had all the facts. I think the white Prius looks sharp. It sounds like it's really been babied too, so you should be a happy camper. I like the no sales tax deal, wish we had that in WA.

15. Springtime

Springtime Member

Patrick,

Sounds like you got a very good car at a good price - especially since you don't qualify for the 2006 tax credit.

I think you will be very happy with your choice. I am courious as to why he is selling the car with such low mileage... is he one of those guys that just has to have an 2006 with a few more gadgets on it?

Springtime

16. EricGo

EricGo New Member

No family you can trust, huh ?

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow... no sales tax would have saved me a bundle but you did say that only applies when purchased from a private party so oh well. when i got mine, all private party sales were major ripoffs and hard to find at any price.

i still think you got a good price. sure the math may not be extremely favorable but you have to look at availability and the Priuses are still not readily available in many parts of the country still

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, with that added information, looks like you've got a great deal. No sales tax and since you wouldn't have gotten the tax credit...this way you do. You are really going to appreciate that clear bra. Seat covers too? That's $1000 right there.

I think you're going to be very happy. Let us know how you feel after the first week.