1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tough decision: to replace hybrid battery or trade in and go for new car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Luke424, May 31, 2023.

1. Luke424

Luke424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello! I have had my current Prius for about 10 years. It’s a 2005 with 216K on it, and the “red triangle of death” showed up a couple days ago. The hybrid battery has never been replaced, so we thought that might be it. Our local mechanic, who we love, doesn’t do hybrid batteries, so we reluctantly try brought it to our closest dealership. The check engine light had also been on and off for about a year, but with four kids we’d not done much about it. And it drove great. Over the past year, we have done: brakes, coolant replacement, water pump, new exhaust system, and tires only have about 10k on them (I mainly use the Prius to drive 8 miles total each day for work to teach, and then only the occasional visit to family a couple hours away). The dealer quoted us at $3,100 for the hybrid battery, then 330 for an oxygen sensor and 700 for a valve replacement (kids were screaming in the background by that point and I could t get the full name of the valve). Does anyone have any wisdom or perspective to share on whether it’s wise to try to find 4k to keep our 2005 with 226K miles on it going, or whether this is a sign to cease and desist, trade in, and find something more reliable? I wish to had more time to learn to fix things on my own, but life with the kids and teaching is pretty chaotic, so I probably couldn’t do much sleuthing, but would love anyone’s perspective or experience! Many thanks, and peace!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    this would be an easy decision but for the difficult car market. normally, i would say move on, but the supply is low and prices are high.
    i would try harder to find a mech who would install the battery. dealers are overpriced, but if you can't find anyone else, shop around for a new(er) vehicle and see if that helps the decision process any.
    all the best!

3. BrokenPipe

BrokenPipe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely keep the car, it's going to cost way more buying new. Don't go to the stealership they love to rip off there customers on useless repairs.

That being said, just find someone on craigslist or social media that specialize in doing hybrid battery rebuilding. They know what they are doing and can get your prius back on the road.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don''t know how you can say this with a straight face, evidence would show more often than not, these fly-by-nighters have no clue how to rebuild an old battery.

Longinus876 likes this.
  5. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have fly by night specials in 2 cars, one is 2 years old the other one year, no issues with either. Since they cost about 600 each I am pretty happy with the results.
    On the repairs, find an independent shop. Or hang out at a sandwich shop near the toyota dealer at lunch time. Anyone with a shop uniform might be or know of a tech who works on the side.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Independent shops are the way to go if you are even reasonably near one. Much cheaper than dealerships. There's little value to be gained or preserved by taking 15+ year old cars back to the original dealer unless it says "Ferrari" on both.

Trading in that car as is (and paying an extra $4k on top) will not get you a better car in today's market, so as crazy as it seems I think you should spend the money fixing up what you've got.

7. Luke424

Luke424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much for these helpful replies everyone! We looked into some new car options and we’re stunned by how tough the market is. My brother had gotten a hybrid Corolla for 25k, but had to wait months. We called around they told us 6 month wait, and didn’t feel great about spending a ton on another used car. Had called around to local mechanics and no one did hybrid batteries….

bisco likes this.