1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring - are they all gone? (and how is the mpg?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alansanmateo, Feb 8, 2007.

1. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

I am hearing that Toyota will not make any more Touring models, so all we are left with is what is on the lots (which doesn't make me happy, since no one has the colors I want, apparently)

Can anyone confirm this? (no, not re the colors I want, re the Touring)
    :)

ps I want red or black, and can only get green, beige, white or blue, in the Touring (SF Bay Area)

I'm not going to pay extra to get the color I want, but I am debating compromising on color b ecause I prefer how the Touring feels when cornering (probably the only difference other than potentially lower MPG).

Are the Touring drivers seeing lower MPG??

2. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alansanmateo @ Feb 8 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]387222[/snapback]</div>
    To tell you the truth I haven't heard that rumor that they will no longer be making the touring models,as for the MPG, I have only put 550 miles on mine. but just recently put its first tank of gas. the computer says that I so far am averaging 50.5mpg and this tank has 96 miles on it. its really cold here too so i think that is supposed to make the gas tank about 1 gallons smaller/

hope that helps at all

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was at Walnut Creek Toyota Tuesday morning and they had a touring package 6 in red on the lot and ready to go.
    -Paul R. Haller- :rolleyes:

4. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Feb 8 2007, 09:35 PM) [snapback]387282[/snapback]</div>

Now that I think about it, My Prius was the only touring on the lot. Go figure

5. cephus6

cephus6 New Member

Wolfchase Toyota in Memphis TN has 3 red Touring and 1 black touring on the lot.

Not sure how far you willing to travel.

6. jwidenerga

jwidenerga New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alansanmateo @ Feb 8 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]387222[/snapback]</div>
    I just picked up a Grey Metallic Touring in Atlanta at the end of January. There were 2-3 more on the lot. There were others on lots here in Atlanta as well, but not that many. In a check of buyatoyota.com this morning, there are still more Touring's set to be delivered in the coming weeks.

As for the MPG, I only have ~500 miles on the car, but I am averaging 43MPG and loving every minute of it!

Good Luck on your search!

7. smrtguy

smrtguy Junior Member

Northern Virginia dealerships still have posters showing off Touring edition features. I was keen on color and package, so ended up checking inventory in about six dealerships locally. I found only two touring cars, while everyone had 50-200 non-tourings in the lot. All dealerships offered to order and deliver in about a week.

Considering that DC Metro area has the second largest population of Priuses, I have to guess that Prius Touring is not that popular.

8. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmrtGuy @ Feb 9 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]387452[/snapback]</div>
    Smrtguy,

I am looking for a base package #5 and have received many email offers through cars.com and edmunds. I started off looking for a Touring with #5 but found out quickly there are non in the northeast. I too am in the Washington DC area. The best offer I have right now is $400 below invoice plus $99 processing fee. There was a dealer offering $1000 below invoice but I missed that deal and it expired as of 1/31. I need to make my decision this weekend. Any thoughts?

-jackovalltrades

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy alan...

I'm not sure about CA, but in North Texas [Dallas area] *many* Prius are "In stock" - My favorte dealer lists 8 Touring Editions ready for immediate delivery, and they're reportedly 'dealing' with some incentives. *SIGH* - I took delivery Nov 11th and while I did make a good trade at that time, incentives have increased somewhat with numerous dealers having Prius on their lots.

Mileage? - It's too soon to tell since I have ~2,000 miles on my 2007 Touring Edition so it isn't 'limbered up' yet. My 2004 didn't reach its best fuel economy until about 8,000 miles. I do expect a bit less fuel economy due to the slightly larger tire 'footprint' - more rubber on the pavement - but that also should enhance the traction, a reasonable tradeoff. In addition, I didn't like the 'feel' with tires at 42/40 psi [like I had run on my 2004], so I set them to 37/35 psi which will probably produce a little reduced fuel economy.

10. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    California does not get any package 5 touring editions anymore. Toyota is picking and choosing what areas get what, unfortunately

11. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I checked our local lot -- Santa Cruz -- while I was getting the oil change. They had about 15 Prii, and none of them were Touring. This aligns with what I was told when I bought the car -- that they won't be sending Touring models to CA anymore. Who knows why...

Anyway, as to mileage, we have been worrying that one a bit. It seems to us that we just don't come up to what 99 per cent of the members of this list take for granted. But yesterday was the first day that I drove the car all day and on the exact commuter route that my husband normally takes. He has been getting 44 to 45 in cold weather on that commute. I, on the other hand, got 48 overall, including his commute and some lower MPG stop and start trips. I think that bodes well for the car. I was stopping and going into stores or getting gas and such, and am sure that it would have been 50, if it had been straight driving. Also, we have to go over a substantial hill to get to work.

So, I suspect that the Touring might be slightly less efficient than the regular Prius, but maybe only a teeny amount less? I can imagine others might be getting 50-52 where we are getting 48? Maybe? Its all so hard to nail down.

I very much prefer the way the Touring handles, however, so for me, that kind of mileage tradeoff is worth it. I think my husband must be driving faster than me, and that explains the difference in our respective mileage.

12. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

thanks, everybody!!

13. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ATL Livin' @ Feb 9 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]387428[/snapback]</div>

so, there is a way to check inventory by going through buyatoyota.com? Anyone care to share a tip on how to do that?

14. jwidenerga

jwidenerga New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alansanmateo @ Feb 9 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]387538[/snapback]</div>
    Head over to buyatoyota.com and it's pretty easy to figure it out.

15. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ATL Livin' @ Feb 9 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]387558[/snapback]</div>
    I've been to the web site several times in the past week and haven't seen this feature either. Is it solely based on zip or something?

16. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I obtained my 2007 Touring in November 2006. The odometer just turned 3500 miles. It is winter and cool and I'm earning 48 mph. I don't expect to reach 60 mpg until 12k miles and warmer weather.

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Noooooo!!! They can't get rid of the Touring! I like that one..... I'm hoping to be able to afford a Prius within the next two years, and I want a Touring model.

If they do get rid of it, I suppose I can always just stiffen the chassis and suspension of the regular model with aftermarket parts like some posters have done.... but I also like the look of the Touring. *begs Toyota with big puppy-dog eyes not to kill the Touring*

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alansanmateo @ Feb 8 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]387222[/snapback]</div>
    Did you hear that from a salesman who wanted to sell you a car off the lot and who did not have a Touring model in stock?

19. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 10 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]388277[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder the same. As tourings are relatively rare compared to the standard Prius, I have heard no such rumors in the official channels.

MPG? I average 40 mpg in cold weather. However, I noticed my mpg was much closer to the EPA when it briefly warmed up to 75 F. Ironically that is the temperature at which the EPA does its current (2007 and previous models) but not its future (2008 and beyond) testing.

20. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jackovalltrades @ Feb 9 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]387603[/snapback]</div>
    I can't figure it out either. I want a SuperWhite Touring with NAV & Bluetooth and I'm willing to go pretty much anywhere in the SF bay area or Monterey (I'm in Santa Cruz.)

I live in the mountains, so I want the increased suspension.
    :)