1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring Models, Tire Pressure Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Santiago, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Santiago

Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just took delivery on a Touring 09 Opt #6. The pressures on the door say 35/33. I am presently set at 38/36. These are Bridgestone P195/55 R16's. What can I safely run to get good mileage? If I read correctly the Max PSI rating on the rim is 51 PSI.

I'm only interested in your answers if you have this particular tire.:car:

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm running 40/38 on my 08 Touring. The ride gets a little bit harsher. Remember that increasing pressures will reduce the tire's footprint, (that's part of why the mileage goes up). A reduced footprint could slightly increase stopping distances.

It's hard to compare mileage at different pressures because of all the other factors involved, but with 5000 miles on the car in mild weather and normal to gentle driving in hilly terrain, I'm getting about 52 mpg.

3. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i have an 08 touring and i think the same tires as you if i am not mistaken.
    i run 40 all around. the tires, i think, say they can go higher by a bit, but i do not
    push it. when i bought the car it was set lower at 37-38 range.

the car can stop incredibly quick when needed. almost scary fast how quick
    it can stop. i am used to older cars.

4. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 07 touring is getting 49.6 mpg based on averaging tank fillings for the last 3500 miles. The MFD indicates 50.8, or approx. 1+% high. That is with the 16" Bridgestones at 40/38 pressure. We do semi conservative driving on hilly terain.

5. WindInPants

WindInPants New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I took delivery last Wednesday the 17th of an 09 touring with the same tires. I believe my tires reccomend a 40 psi max so I put them at 38 front and 36 rear. I am still on my first tank at around 390 miles and am getting 45.3 mpg w/ erratic (in regardes to acceleration and speed for break-in period) spirited driving. After reading earlier posts in this thread, I probably will up my psi 40/38.

6. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have an '08 Touring package 6; with 6,500 miles in 4 months.
    I have the 51 PSI maximum in all four tires and have no complaints about rigidity or stopping performance. I average 56+ MPG on my 40 mile round trip commute to work (about half and half freeway and surface streets).

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Congratulations on your new Prius and welcome to PC.

I have the Bridgestone Turanza's EL 400's in that size and mine are rated at max 44psi. I am currently running at 52F/50R (weather has cooled since filled and they have probably dropped 2-3 psi and I should check them again) and am working on a 55mph tank (currently at 265 miles). You can safely run them up to max sidewall pressure.

Your tires are new and will need some time to break in, as will the engine, to get the best mileage. Also YOU will need to learn the "feel" of the engine too. It took me about a year and a half (and warmer weather) to get the mileage I am getting. Do some searches for tire pressure, mileage, and break in for more information.

8. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The tire inflation pressure your filling the tires to is that when the tire is cold? If I understand correctly doesnt the inflated pressure increase when the tire gets hot.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    We picked up our 2009 Touring #6 yesterday. I checked the pressure this morning and it was way too low at 30/29. The dealer obviously missed this in the PDS as they also missed the oil level being 1/2 inch higher than the top fill line.

I corrected the pressure to 41/39.

51 PSI is far too high. That is the bead pressure, not the operating pressure. You risk much being that over inflated.