1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

touring models (years?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by suprat04r, Dec 28, 2011.

1. suprat04r

suprat04r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi excuse the newb question, but what years did the TOURING model start at? i am shopping for a prius (pref) 2006 and up (for back up camera, nav and bluetooth).

but a few dealers show that 2005 touring model. was just curious. i thinkt he touring model is not that big of a difference right? just the struts, stab bar, slight rear spoiler (can't really tell..?) and HID lights?

thanks in advance

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Touring was only available on 2007-2009 models.

It includes an upgraded rear suspension as you mentioned, 16" alloy rims and tires, a larger rear spoiler, and standard HID headlights and fogs.

The real way to tell if you're looking at a Touring is by going to the rear of the car and looking under it. Look near the wheels. You should see 2 bands of stripes on the rear struts. On most Priuses (non-Touring models) there will be a red stripe and a blue stripe, but on the Touring, there will be a red stripe and a pink stripe.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep!

http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html

Besides the model year range, non-touring has 185/65-15 tires while touring has 195/55-16 tires. The wheel design is also different between the two. Take a look at the tires. If they're 185/65-15, it's either
    - not a touring (most likely) OR
    - the previous owner changed the wheels and tires to that of a non-touring (not likely).

It is SO ANNOYING to keep hearing of non-Touring Priuses being misrepresented as Tourings. Ugh! It seems the practice is done in order to inflate the price to people who don't know how to tell.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does anyone know if a dealer misrepresents a regular prius as a touring if you can sue the dealer to pay for the upgraded spoiler, wheel/tires, suspension and possibly HID headlights if your non touring prius didn't come with them??

maybe any lawyers out there can tell us if there is a valid case or if it varies from state to state or if its just buyer beware and buyer do your damn research.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd hope it's buyer beware. While I don't advocate dealerships touting non tourings as tourings, I think it's worse this sue happy world we are becoming.