1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

touring or not touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by setheriah, Mar 10, 2007.

1. setheriah

setheriah New Member

I brought the non touring model... cause they had the color and the interior i wanted and a package 5.... i thought the touring had a slightly rougher bumpier ride... is the touring actually better than the non touring or does it just not matter.. also are there still issues with the tires on the touring.. I heard the tires on the touring are expensive to replace....

2. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(setheriah @ Mar 9 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]403233[/snapback]</div>
    Aren't your questions academic? You already bought the car... so, enjoy it.

3. setheriah

setheriah New Member

I do enjoy the car... I originally had a touring on order locally but did not hear back in two months from where I ordered it so I just assumed that maybe it was on recall... or something... The dealer that I got my car from was pushing the touring on some other customers when I overheard them I just hear that a lot of people on this forum are buying the touring so was wondering if it was a better choice or not....

4. rik

rik Junior Member

I love my Touring. It just feels zippier, with a sportier ride.

My only disappointment is that they didn't put a "Touring" badge on it someplace to make it obvious that I'm not driving just-another-Prius. Of course to people in the know the larger wheels give it away, but still. Anyway, it was only a couple hundred bucks more than the standard car and I think it was worth it.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) setheriah

"To-uring or not to-uring, that is the question. Whether is nobler..."
    {Apologies to William}

I drove a 2004 Prius for over 2 years, traded for a 2007 Touring Edition in November 2006. There are differences, but mostly subtle. As for the tires, with either the GoodYear Integreties on the standard or the Bridgestone Turanzas on the Touring, it will be MANY MILES before replacement is an issue unless you decide to change them out before wear requires. Differences in tire costs, when considered over the 30K or more miles until replacement, are not much. The Bridgestones do have a larger 'footprint' {more rubber on the road} which is a mixed blessing - better traction and brakeing vs. more rolling friction which means slightly better fuel economy on the Integreties.

Another thing, when I first got my 2007 Touring, I set the tire pressures at 40/38 psi {as I had run the Integreties on my 2004} but didn't like the 'feel' and 'ride' so I reduced the pressures to 37/35 psi which will also tend to reduce my MPG.

When I traded, the dealer was encouraging purchase of the Touring Edition. Seems the Package and Options I wanted were arriving more in the Touring than the standard, and the $270 difference was incidental, even vanished in the deal I was able to make. I would have been happy with the standard. Don't "Second Guess" your purchase decision... you have a great car.

***ENJOY YOUR PRIUS***

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(setheriah @ Mar 10 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]403233[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you pretty much got everything you wanted, be happy. Tourings around here are tough to find. Maybe 10% of inventory. It would have been harder to find your color and trim in that model. Enjoy the car.

7. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I love my touring. It actually takes turns pretty fast. Don't know about the ride, but the Prius itself is pretty solid without any rattles.

8. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't remember how the base prius rode but I live my Touring! be happy! you have a great car

9. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I test drove both the base and touring models extensively before deciding on the touring. Both were fairly similar in ride quality with the touring being slightly firmer & more responsive (as it should be with the larger tires and a tuned suspension).

I probably would have been happy with either model. However, in the end it was the larger rims (sportier look) and the fact that there just aren't as many touring editions out there (having something different than most people) that convinced me I had to have the touring.

10. allargon

allargon Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I prefer the touring. I like the firmer ride and more responsive handling. The suspension is great. The suspension could easily handle some performance run flats (throw the spare in storage to save on weight and increase mpg) allowing you to take a few mountain curves and still get 45mpg while doing it.

Tourings were pretty rare out here, too. The stock Pree are not "piling up" on dealer lots around Austin. However, they are much more plentiful.

Tires? 16" tires don't cost that much--period. It's not like we're talking about high performance 19" run-flats.

Methinks you should try both the touring and the standard and see which one is right for you!

11. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(setheriah @ Mar 10 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]403233[/snapback]</div>
    You were right in your gut feeling, the touring suspension is tighter and more responsive than the base. So it shouldn't handle bumps as well, thus a bumpier ride. Like when I took my stock Audi A4 suspension (cushy) and put H&R sport springs and Bilstein shocks into it. It handled amazingly, but could be bone jarring if you hit the wrong bump.

That being said, I bought the non touring Prius. The reason being that just like the Audi, if I want to improve the ride, I'll do it myself with components I choose.

Hope that helps!

12. setheriah

setheriah New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 11 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]403762[/snapback]</div>
    I dont get sometimes when the car is more responsive.. does that mean it can handle turns better.. base seems to turn just fine... both cars turned well and about the same.. just I thought the touring was bumpier.. so if the suspension is tighter does that mean it doesnt handle bumps as well and you feel them more..

13. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(setheriah @ Mar 11 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]403908[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly it. There is a tradeoff between comfort (soft) and performance (tight).

The touring suspension is "tuned", therefore it is tighter, more responsive, but the tradeoff is a harsher ride.

A Ferrari will dominate high speed turns on a track, but you take that same car to the worst pot-holed street in NYC, it will rattle your teeth right out of your head.