1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring Spoiler: Rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 1PriusFan, Jul 14, 2008.

1. 1PriusFan

1PriusFan New Member

My 2008 Touring sounds a distinct rattle when driving over rough roads or a small ditch. I'm fairly sure it's the rear spoiler. The spoiler itself isn't loose to my touch; I tried holding the spoiler fin between my fingers and moving it up/down to check if it's not tight enough (it does not budge all that much).
    Anyone else seeing this? Should I take the car in as it's still under warranty?

2. dsetter

dsetter New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check the compartment under the rear carpet to be sure there is nothing bouncing around. After that, you might want to recheck that spoiler. Ours makes a creaking noise when you move it by hand. That creak turns into a more sharp metalic thunk\crack noise. We dropped it at the dealer today (July 15) for a second attempt to cure the problem. The dealer's first try with double sided tape amd bolt tightening worked for 4 months. We do not and you should not use your spoiler to close the hatchback.

I'll update you on our progress. Good luck with yours!

3. dsetter

dsetter New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They "tightened it" was all we got from the Service Rep. It is fixed - for now!

4. smtrader

smtrader Member

Can we revisit the spoiler rattle?

5. smtrader

smtrader Member

Can we revisit the spoiler rattle? My spoiler not only rattle, they are loose! Following Pat's suggestion, I removed the plastic covers and can see the 4 bolts, but it appears that there are also 2 round fasteners on each corner...both look stripped!

So, what parts are these? Anyone tried replacing these? Could use some guidance. Want to DIM. :) Thanks.