1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring took touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mrg, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mrg

mrg Member

I started in August to try and order a new 2007 Prius Touring model.

Some internet salesmen did not answer my emails. One stated they only took serious orders for a Prius. I do not know what a non serious order would be. That salesman emailed orders would take 4 to 8 months. When I stated 8 month on a new 2007 would not be acceptable. He did not reply anymore. Some offered regular models like they did not read "Touring" in the request. I sent 5 emails to the dealer's internet salesman, that serviced my 2004 Prius for the past 3 years. He replied to the Toyota price quote form which only allows you to enter 2007 Prius no other comments. First email no reply. The second email request, he priced a 2006 car that was available. His reply to my third email asked what was I interested in. 4th email no reply. His reply to my 5th email which asked him why he had not answered my email was he had been out sick a couple of days, and what was I interested in? No reply.

I finally drove to the dealership and asked for that person. This was third week of August. He said he could not order a Prius until after the first of the month and said he would call me as soon as he could order what I wanted.

I called the salemanager about 3 weeks ago. I told him I was trying to give them my business as I was very satisfied with the service on my 2004. He assured me he would get to the bottom of the problem and call me the following Monday afternoon. Two days after that did not happen. The original salesman left a message on my home answering machine, even though he had my work number for day time calls. I did not return his call. And he did not try again.

I emailed and or called about 10 dealers, requesting a 2007 Prius Touring model with package #6 in Silver Pine Mica, Red, Blue or White. Some did not even reply. Others tried to offer 2006's. Most shyed away from ordering what I wanted as it could take several months. One dealer yesterday finally offered a 2007 Touring in Red with Package #5 and leather upgrade. The only difference seems to be the steering wheel is not leather. I said that would work for me. Delivery should be by the end of the month. This has been a tough car to get.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow... some people just don't want business or are too lazy or just want to get rid of old stock.

Well, the effort is worthwhile!

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't you just hate it when they try to sell you whatever is on STOCK?

What happened to selling the customer what he/she wants? (Especially when it has a higher MSRP!)

Geez, too many people just want to get rich quick...

4. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 12 2006, 01:26 AM) [snapback]331584[/snapback]</div>
    When I was shopping for a Prius, I sent an e-mail to a local dealer asking for a test drive. After three weeks and no reply, I e-mailed a second dealer. He phoned me the next morning and a few days later I had my test drive and then ordered the car.
    I think car salesmen are not that internet-comfortable, and many have not realized that the internet is a new channel for meeting new customers.
    By the way, six weeks after I had e-mailed the first dealer, a sales rep e-mailed me back. They lost the sale of course.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leo @ Oct 12 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]331917[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe. I know my salesman (well, he didn't sell me the car since I found him AFTER I bought the car but he's a nice guy) does surf forums such as PC for information and such. I don't know if internet orders are big in Canada but I know he did complete a purchase once over a phone.

6. Mia

Mia New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I first started looking into the prius in August (never even knew they existed before then). I had a hard time trying to find one just to test drive. Finally made an appointment only to find out it was gone (nothing like wasting my time). Seemed either no dealer could keep them on the lot long enough or not enough sales to have them readily available. :huh: Then I was told that the 07's would not be available in the states until sometime around October. When I finally found one to test out, it was locked up and only a used 05 model (another day shot). Needless to say, I finally got to test the used model and loved it! Nothing like I ever expected from a hybrid. So my order is in for the 07 red barcelona package #6 but I have to wait 4 - 8 weeks. Oh well, in the mean time I just shop for accessories. :rolleyes:

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never cease to be blown away by these stories of awful dearships and shady sales creatures... I got my vehicle at LaRiche Toyota in Findlay Ohio.... My first purchase there.. My mother got her Highlander one day after I got my Prius in April.. She has gotten a 1992 Subaru Legacy, 1996 Subaru Outback, 1997 Toyota T-100, and two 2006 toyota highlanders there... All new at the time... go to toyotabob.com to check out their internet sales department... they're a great dealership to deal with...

I never cease to be blown away by these stories of awful dearships and shady sales creatures... I got my vehicle at LaRiche Toyota in Findlay Ohio.... My first purchase there.. My mother got her Highlander one day after I got my Prius in April.. She has gotten a 1992 Subaru Legacy, 1996 Subaru Outback, 1997 Toyota T-100, and two 2006 toyota highlanders there... All new at the time... go to toyotabob.com to check out their internet sales department... they're a great dealership to deal with...

8. narussian

narussian New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrg @ Oct 11 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]331497[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered a 2006 Package #8, I was offered a 2006 Package #7 with leather upgrade and told I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from any other once the leather was installed. Obviously I did because the sterring wheel was not leather but that is not all. The armrests on all four doors were not covered with leather and in the backseat there is a space between the seat and the door where on the opposite side the air vent is, that was not covered.

So my point is, be sure to check the leather installation to be sure they really covered everything. I never did say anything because I didn't notice until about 2 months after i drove off the lot when I looked in the wondow of a Prius with leather. I was bummed but I figure it was too late.

I hope you enjoy your 2007 Prius and keep us all posted on anything new!!

9. molgrips

molgrips Member

Two of the same brand new car in one year?!

:eek:

10. aforonda

aforonda New Member

Wow thats insane, here in Northern California I had several dealers respond to my cars.com and costco request. My wait time for my 07 touring prius was only 2-5 weeks, I did the whole deal via email with Cindy Lee at City Toyota in Daly City she was awesome. And I freakin love this car!

11. mrg

mrg Member

I am sorry I over looked selecting make and model in my profile. I had left the default unchanged which entered Prius 2006 Pkg 9. I actually owned a 2004 Package 4 with 22,000 miles. Which I sold in August.

I have a 2007 Prius in Red with Package #5 ordered with leather upgrade. Unfortunently, I only saw that the steering wheel was not leather when I reviewed the 2 packages. I did not think to ask if there was any other items I would not be getting when I was emailed quote with itbeing ordered that way. The package 6 is worded the same except the steering wheel is listed in Package 6. He said all Touring model on order with package 6 are spoken for but he could have the leather installed at the dock. I was so excited a red one was available sooner than several months ordering. I am sure the salesman did not bring it up on purpuse. As he did not say anything about the steering wheel until I asked about the steering wheel. He did not offer any details except I would not be getting the SW.

I am so disappointed in Toyota sales practices.

I also forgot to mention one salesman said in his first reply to my quote request. He said they (Toyota of Grapevine) were selling Prius for $2000.00 less than other local dealers. When I emailed the list of what I wanted he email he could deliver a Touring with package #6 in 3 days. The price was $34,780.00. I emailed him back. I wasn't paying $4,000.00 over MSRP and that I can see why you did not call me.

He then did call and laughed, he said it doesn't hurt to ask does it. He said that is what they are bringing. When I said no they are not. I owned one and read Prius posts nearly everyday. I started to tell him I knew more than a lot of the salesmen I have been dealing with. But he interrupted and finish the statment with "you know more than I do don't you". What would you pay over MSRP? I told him not one dime, then he hung up.

I guess technically, I am paying over MSRP now that I agreed to package #5 with leather upgrade. I am not so smart, but maybe we can help some one that can't test drive what they want before buying. I still loved my Prius. :(

12. Mia

Mia New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The dealer tried to get me too a few times, like adding on the mats for $277, but I had printed everything I wanted off line. In the end I got everything I wanted and paid about $500 less than I expected. Seems the #6 package for the 07 was less than that for the 06, probably because the side curtain air bags are now standard. Dealer also tried to sell me the the leather aftermarket but I was stuck on having it done directly from the manufacturer. I'm glad I did because I never would have caught the fact that the SW wouldn't be leather and boy would I have been disappointed.

13. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Leather upgrade also does not include armrest door covers or the front center console cover. These remain cloth with port installed leather.

14. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narussian @ Oct 13 2006, 07:13 AM) [snapback]332175[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Narussian -

INTERESTING story! Sounds familiar. We picked up an '06 #7 in June. We wanted a #8. They said they could throw on a set of leather seat covers & charge us the price for a #8. Sounded pretty good. They covered everything except the steering wheel. Looks real good. But about a week or two later, I discovered that they had used Naugahyde! I was pretty sick & upset. Still don't know whether to make a fuss.

What do you think?

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< 2007 Pkg 6, Options A0 P4 ordered - trading 2004 with 22K miles.

** Now the impatient wait commences **

Dallas dealer was OK to work with, offered a fair trade. It appears that the incoming Prius do not yet include the Pkg 5 and Pkg 6.

Question: Does the "factory" leather include covering armrests and console lid? I note it does include the steering wheel.

16. LowCO2

LowCO2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Oct 14 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]332924[/snapback]</div>
    Same happened to me - they put on the naugahyde and the next day I made a stink with the dealer! Insisted that I get the "perforated" leather. They said that the naugahyde was Gen. I and the perforated just became available (June '06). The perforated is definitely better but I probably could have made do with the cloth, too!

17. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 13 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]332573[/snapback]</div>
    The leateher upgrade is considered "Port Installed" and does not cover arm rests, steering wheel or center console. Can someone with the $1395.00 aftermarket leather please confirm this?

It's also less expensive to just go with a package 6 if you're considering a package 5 with port installed leather.

Pkg #5: $5080.00 + Leather: $1398.00 = $6478.00 (No leather wrapped steering wheel, arm rests or center console)
    Pkg #6: $6350.00

I've done a side by side comparison at the dealer before I decided on the Pkg #6, and the leather didn't look the same by any means.

Just my $.02

18. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 17 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]334244[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See my other posts up above. -

When my Walnut Creek Toyota dealer had leather seat covers installed locally, I got EVERYTHING but a steering wheel cover. They did a nice job. BUT I still wanted leather.

Has anyone made a stink over Naugahyde, when they really wanted leather? I am still seething.

Also, can anyone tell me for certain, that a 2006 #8 has REAL leather?

19. jsnarski

jsnarski New Member

I ordered a 2007 Prius Touring in Magnetic Gray, Package #6 (NR) on September 20 from a Chicago suburban dealer. My car was delivered to me on October 6. Two other dealers told me that configuration was extremely rare and would take 6-8 months to get. I'm very fortunate to have found a salesman and agency that was so interested in satisfying their customers.

And of course I'm extremely pleased with my Prius.

20. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 17 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]334244[/snapback]</div>

I went with package 5 and leather. The port installed leather covers are so much nicer than what GM had in my CTS. I was skeptical when I ordered, but very impressed when my car arrived. I don't car about the the steering wheel, but I would love tho have the arm rests leather. I bought the cover from Prius Hoods for the center console, and it is very nice.