1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring vs Non touring

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gdaddyo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. gdaddyo

gdaddyo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What are some of your thoughts on advantages of touring over non touring Prius??? Is the $1k more really worth the gain in suspension upgrade?

2. RichL

RichL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good question. I'm thinking of buying a Prius in the next week or so. Does the touring give you a "rough ride" over city streets?

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Touring Edition is worth it at all price difference levels over the Standard/Base Prius because, IMO, the Standard/Base Prius' handling is subpar for a car of its size.

At the Package #2 level, there is a $895 difference in MSRP. For that $895 difference you get more than the improved suspension. You get (1) Tuned Suspension, (2) bigger, wider and better wheels and tires, (3) bigger spoiler, and (4) HID headlights + foglights. To me, that's a bargain.

At the Package #5 level and at the Package #6 level, there is a $520 difference in MSRP. For that $520 difference you again get more than the improved suspension. You get (1) Tuned Suspension, (2) bigger, wider and better wheels and tires, and (3) bigger spoiler. To me, that's also a bargain.

Finally, please note that this issue of Touring vs Non-Touring has been the subject of many other threads. Check out some of the applicable sounding threads in these Search Results:

PriusChat Forums - Search Results

Good luck.

4. RichL

RichL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Tom, I'll check out those threads. :)

At the Dealer I was told that in the Touring model only Package #6 was sold in CA. Streets here in LA can be rough and I don't want to feel a harsh ride.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Rich,

I hear you. I'm a Package 2 guy myself. And if I can only get a Touring at Package 6, I wouldn't get it either because I'd never spend $3500 more for extras I didn't want.

In terms of ride comfort, that's really an individual call best made if you have the opportunity to test drive both models (but I haven't heard anyone describe the Touring Edition's ride as harsh).

Good luck.

6. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I own a trn 6. The ride is smooth and quiet. No roughness experienced on bad roads, etc. (more so than other vehicles I have).

What I notice is the quietness of the ride.

I am glad I got the 6 because everything is included and/or at top shelf(for the offers). At least that's what I'm telling myself. :)

No, but I like that my features are built in. I was gunna go basic model and use all my carry around components, but now I'm wireless and seamless!

7. ginadee

ginadee New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am going to buy mine friday and I want the works but still did not see nor test the touring and dont understand the difference. I live in the mountains will the mpg really be lower. I take I-5 from OR to northern CA (sometimes) and/or Hwy 199 to medford for groceries once a month. The price I was given was 27,ooo for a 6 pruis sedan.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's almost exactly what I paid for my standard level 6 back in 06. If that's what Tourings are going for, I'd say it was a bargain. Just do it. I'm at 51.7 mpg lifetime now, with 99% highway driving, over a couple of medium mountain passes every day. Just do it. You'll be glad you did.

9. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I paid $26,321 (not including tax and fees) for a 2006 package 6 in the SF Bay area.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The mileage is the same for the touring and non-touring Prius. I have the non-touring with every option except leather, and like it very much. I have no complaints about handling, cornering, or the ride. I suspect a lot of the opinions your hear vary depending on people's expectations and previous car. I no longer drive like a maniac, and my previous car was a Ford Aerostar van, so the Prius seems tight and nimble. In the past I used to drive a Honda CRX, and compared to that the Prius would feel like driving a dish washer. Either way it's a great car, and I wouldn't care if I had a touring or non-touring model.

Tom

11. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know. It may be a huge coincidence but I have yet to see someone with a Touring get the same mileage as the standard car. I honestly feel the different wheels make a measurable difference as well as the rear spoiler has the potential to make a difference (measureable, I don't know?).

Due to the nature of the tweaks on the Touring (the engine/drivetrain are the same), the EPA would probably not require a re-certification for the touring.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That could be the case. The EPA figures are exactly the same. There has been some anecdotal information on the forums about the touring models getting a few mpg less than the standard models, but an equal number report the opposite. It wouldn't surprise me if you loose a few to the larger wheels and different tires, but the hit is probably less than what driving conditions do for most people.

Tom

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The driver's habits surely have a greater effect on fuel economy than do the options.

The OP really should test drive both if possible. He'll either save money or avoid disappointment.

14. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To medford?
    Cool! I used to live there. Go Oregon Prius!

15. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does the 2008 touring 6 need the support braces mention on PC?

16. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From June 2008 Consumer Reports:

Along with an option package including electronic stability control, this Touring Prius did have better handling and braking than a previously tested base model. It got through our avoidance maneuver 3 mph faster, which puts it on a par with some of the better performing family sedans. It also stopped about 10 feet shorter from 60 mph. The main performance draw back is lower mpg 42 vs.44 . . . The edge in [Touring] performance could give drivers an extra measure of safety. We think that's worth the extra ($895) money.

17. BS Mann

BS Mann New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the 2008 Touring and my mpg for the first 500 miles is 50.1mpg driving 3/4 highway, 1/4 city streets. So I think the Touring can get great mileage if you drive without alot of fast accelleration bursts.

18. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The current issue of Consumer Reports has a small blurb on this. They got 42 m/g vs 44 for the Standard Prius and it went through their Accident Avoidance Maneuvers about 3 m/h faster. They still check rate it, but not with the check in the circle! I wonder how a Standarsd Prius that has the BT Brace and the BT Strut Tower Brace installed would run in that test.