1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Touring vs. Regular

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aeronaut, Jun 30, 2007.

1. aeronaut

aeronaut New Member

Greetings,

New to the Prius world - just got my '07, touring edition, package #2, in silver pine mica. When I was making the buying decision, I test drove both the touring and non-touring editions. While the salesman said there wouldn't be much difference, I had to disagree. I test drove the touring edition first, drove to an empty parking lot, and then drove in a serpentine fashion (think small "S" curves) at about 15 mph. The car held the road well, and stayed pretty level. Then I did the same test with the non-touring edition, and found that it had a lot of roll, rolling out in the curves, to the point where I was worried about losing control. The decision was pretty clear for me at that point.

Mind, I don't normally drive that way. But in an emergency situation, I'd want to know that the car would stay level and under control, and not sway around like a pregnant water buffalo. I didn't feel that the ride smoothness was comprimised by the stiffer suspension in the touring edition.

Of course, my previous car was an 1996 Acura Integra GS-R, which handled great, so part of this is my own bias towards tight handling and solid road feel. While many people love their Mercedes, I've driven a couple, and hate the way one is separated from the road.

I don't think that I'd recommend that anyone trade in their older Prius and get a new one just for the touring upgrade. However, if someone is considering a Prius, but is turned off by the reports of sloppy handling, the touring edition may be just the ticket for them.

Regards,

2. sassypamela

sassypamela New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aeronaut @ Jun 30 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]470687[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, that was one of my hang ups with considering the prius. I have always had sporty cars and like having that sharp turning in a pinch available. Plus I don't like that lofty bouncy ride.

I do wish it had a touring badge. Then I could see my fellow sporty prius folks.

P.S. We have almost the same car! But I demanded all the available options. I'm a real options wh0re.

3. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do wish it had a touring badge. Then I could see my fellow sporty prius folks.

;) ;) Hi Sassy! I bought a touring badge made for the Avalon, http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2 and mounted it right under the TOYOTA badge on the back hatch. I offset the Touring badge a bit to the right. It looks cool. Someday I'll get a picture posted so all can see!

Good luck with the 07 Touring, mine is great. BTW, a BT stiffening plate will improve the handling more, IMHO.

-Lee

4. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

Hey touring model owners, distinguish yourselfs from the regular Prius. :eek: Did you know that your cool looking alloys are covered up by wheel covers? Both of our Touring models were delivered with silver wheel covers--huh! The dealer was surprised when I had them taken off to reveal great looking grey new style 16" alloys. He put Toyota hubcaps on the axle ends for free. B)

5. Jaqueh2

Jaqueh2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Jun 30 2007, 05:09 PM) [snapback]470784[/snapback]</div>
    got a picture to make me jealous of my normal package 3?

6. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jaqueh2 @ Jul 1 2007, 02:39 AM) [snapback]470943[/snapback]</div>
    Not at the moment other than my icon to the left. The hubcap fits in the center and is shiny chrome with Toyota logo--you will like it since it complements the gray alloy color. Make the dealer give you four of them since they sold you alloys without the hubcap but do it while you are a new customer. :p

7. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  8. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

[attachmentid=9346][attachmentid=9345]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Jul 1 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]470996[/snapback]</div>

Good picture. Attached are two pictures of the Prius Touring Alloys in response to several posters curious as to what they look like.

Attached Files:

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have a touring edition, they weren't available when I got mine in Jan 06. The other day I had to a high speed 70+ mph zig to miss a carpet roll on the freeway, and was amazed how well it handles. There was no time to brake (just a tap), because the VW ahead of me swerved, and the carpet roll was coming at me diagonaly. I do some Auto-x in my modified Impreza, which I expect to handle well, but the Prius really surprised me. I have the BT brace, and about 40/38 TP on OEM Goodyears. Anyway, I've never driven a Prius Touring, but it must be nice. I'm still happy with the handling of my "plain Jane", even under somewhat extreme conditions.

10. RexChu

RexChu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Jul 1 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]471103[/snapback]</div>
    PLM,

Sorry to take up bandwidth here, PLM - I have sent you a PM.

Thanks!

11. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quick question: Was 2006 the first model year that Toyota offered a Touring Edition Prius?

12. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i think 2007 was the first model year

13. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe1347 @ Jul 4 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]473043[/snapback]</div>

14. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Jul 4 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]473098[/snapback]</div>

Thanks. Since the Touring Edition has only been out 1 year, it looks like it will be difficult to find a used one.

15. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After 30k mi with a 2005, I am very pleased with our 2007 Touring (just turned 11k mi). Hugs the road better, quieter, has a "more solid" feel. Currently at 51 mpg (cumulative). Self-installed Sirius radio makes it all the better. I do my own oil changes and use Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 larger capacity oil filters.

16. Omi

Omi Burlap Jockstrap

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a question for you. In the picture, the Toyota badge was completely removed. Can you let me know what you used to remove the badge? I know that sometimes these are put on with just heavy duty glue, so a hair dryer to heat the badge and some dental floss will remove these. Also, I wonder if the same technique to remove the back badge could be used to remove the Hybrid badge that is on the front left and right fenders?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Jul 1 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]470996[/snapback]</div>

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I think you will find most of the poor handling of the standard model is caused by the cheap Goodyear Integrity tires. The touring gets better quality tires. I just changed out my near new Integrities for Nokian WR tires and the car handles much better. So those who don't want to trade in for a touring due to cost might want to look into this option. I used stock size Nokian WR 185/65R15-88H (there are two Nokian WRs in the stock size - I used the higher speed rated one, as I believe it is slightly stronger).

18. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 12 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]524664[/snapback]</div>
    What was it that made you choose this tire? I followed the link from another post http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresult...lay.jsp?type=AS

and the Nokian wasn't there. Is it new?

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Although Tire Rack is a big player in the tire sales business, they are not the only one. They don't handle Nokian tires, probably because Nokian didn't want their marketing tactics to disrupt their dealer network. Go to Nokian.com for info straight "from the horses mouth". ;) There is a "dealer finder" there as well.

In Canada, Nokian is handled only by Kal Tire. They advertise heavily, provide good service, and stand behind whatever they sell and do. So a few years ago, needing winter tires for an RX-8, we went for the WR. It performed very well.

Next I replaced the tires on the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder) with WR SUV tires. They were fantastic.

I purchased my Prius in May. As we have a six month winter here, a few weeks ago I decided it was time for "proper" winter capable tires. I replaced my near-new Goodyear Integrities with Nokian WR tires. So far they are doing great, but no snow or ice yet so I'll let everyone know how the car works once we see that.

Using these tires means you have, according to Nokian, tires as good as "ice tires" that you can use all year round. They are warranted for 100,000 km (60,000 mi) treadwear. They don't "squirm" on warm dry roads, they work great in heavy rain, and on the previous vehicles they worked very well in snow and on ice. They are not noisy, though if you push it hard on winding mountain roads, they will "hiss" in the corners. Probably due to the heavy "siping" in the tread. You have to have the windows down to hear it.

If you do a search (Google) you will find lots of on-line and local dealers for them. You can get them in the US for a little less than the advertised price here in Canada. My cost for four was just under $600 mounted and balanced, all taxes included.

20. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 12 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]524753[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. The US midwest can also suffer severe icy winters. Like many I'm looking for tires that wear well and provide good grip year-long. This really means carbon black treads for me. One of the Michelins rated high in the Tire Rack survey has silica treads, which grip well but doesn't last as long as carbon black.