1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing 2002 Prius - please help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rizzo, Oct 29, 2008.

1. rizzo

rizzo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hi.
    Last night I hit a curb and blew two tires on my 2002 Prius - both on the driver's side. Obviously having only one spare there was nothing I could do as it was so late. I had to leave the car in a parking lot overnight. I am about to call to arrange towing and I seem to remember that there are some special instructions/needs when towing a Classic Prius. I do not have my manual as it is in the car.
    Do I need to get a flatbed? Are there any other special instructions? Which tire (front or back) should I have them put the spare on to tow?
    Please advise. The parking lot that I left it in is sort of sketchy and I want to take care of this right away but want to make sure I do the right thing.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I suggest you arrange for a flatbed tow truck. The tow truck driver will probably just pull your car up onto the flatbed without bothering to replace either of the blown tires - and that probably will be OK to do.

If you were not concerned about parking lot security, an alternative approach would be for you to borrow or rent another vehicle, then remove one failed tire at a time and have it replaced by a tire dealer.

3. rizzo

rizzo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thank you so much for the quick response. I really appreciate it. I will get a flatbed and try to get him to put on the spare too just to be on the safe side.

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You can't tow it down the road with the front wheels rolling. You can pull it up on a truck. As long as you have the rims off you should either paint or grease the area where the aluminum rim touchs the steel hub, 'cause they get rust welded together and then it's hell to change a tire in the field.

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, DO NOT tow the car with the front wheels on the ground. The transaxle will not get lubrication and you'll trash the HSD. You can tow with the back wheels on the ground, though, or put it up on a flatbet truck.