1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by danoday, Oct 26, 2005.

1. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm preparing to take a long RV trip, and am planning on taking my Prius along for the ride as a tow vehicle.

According to Toyota, a Prius cannot be towed with all four wheels on the ground, but may be towed with the front two wheels off the ground. Based on this, I purchased a tow dolly that holds the front off the ground. The front wheels will essentially be immobile, so the electric motors on them won't be damaged. The dolly has electric brakes, so the dolly wheels under the front wheels will brake when the RV brakes are applied.

The rear wheels are a different story. Since they'll be on the ground, I need to figure out how to make them 'free-wheeling', with no brakes applied.

When a Prius is powered off, it automatically goes into park. Does this mean that the back brakes are activated? Is there a way to power off the Prius and have it remain in neutral? If not, would a solution be to leave the Prius powered on and in neutral on the trailer? In this mode, it would probably start running the ICE when the battery got low, but should remain in neutral the whole trip.

Does anyone have any experience like this? Any tips, tricks, or things I haven't considered but should? I roll out of town on Saturday morning, so quick responses will certainly be appreciated.

Dan

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

You are confusing the parking brake on the rear wheels with the transmission parking pawl on the front wheels. Just leave the parking BRAKE off, and the car OFF and in PARK. The rear wheels will freewheel, and the fronts will be stationary on the dolly.

3. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

I verified on my own vehicle that the back brakes are NOT activated when in park. The back wheels are free-wheeling while in park.

4. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Great... that means I can leave it powered off on the trailer. Thanks.

PriusChat... it's a brain trust!

5. polkanoble

polkanoble New Member

I've been motorhoming since 1978. I know the "classic" Prius cannot be towed AT ALL. Even rear wheels on the ground has some problem with regen.

My owners manual says do not tow, Load the car on a flat bed for even a short trip.

I expect the 2nd gen prii are the same.

If you find you can tow without damage please let us know. I would love to tow my new '06 when it arrives.

But I am not going to encourage you to try this. I really think there will be severe damage to the drive train or the regen system or both.

I suggest a trailer, either flatbed or enclosed, if you want to do this.

6. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 2005 owner's manual specifically states that you can't tow a Prius as a dinghy (four wheels on the ground) on page 238. They use the phrase "serious damage", so I think they're really pretty serious about this.

Page 258, however, states that if the vehicle must be towed, it can be towed using one of the following three methods:

From the front: using a tow dolly type configuration where the front wheels are raised off the ground and strapped to a trailer. In this method, the rear wheels remain on the ground and roll as they would while driving.

From the rear: using a tow dolly type configuration where the rear wheels are raised off the ground and strapped to a trailer. As well, the front wheels (since you are pulling the car backwards, we're talking about the front wheels of the Prius, not the wheels at the front of the trailer) must rest/be strapped on a separate rolling dolly so the wheels themselves don't touch the ground and don't roll.

Using a flat-bed trailer: all four wheels are off the ground, and none of them roll freely. The entire vehicle is completely strapped to a trailer.

Of course, they do state that this should be done by a Toyota dealer if at all possible, but that sounds like 'give-us-the-money' speak, not serious warning.

The manual is a bit vague on how to configure the brakes when towing using the first method... the question was originally posed to answer that. The other thing I'm a bit worried about is the ground clearance for the rear bumper. When the front wheels are raised six inches off the ground, I'm curious if the back bumper will scrape on bumps.

So, it sounds like both the 2005 and 2006 will work on a dolly. Good news for us RVers!

Dan

7. polkanoble

polkanoble New Member

Let us know how it works. Considering the long distances involved in motorhome towing, I tend to believe the "serious damage" quote. I am still hoping it can be done, but I am not risking either of my prii until I see some real world experience. Good luck if you decide to do it.

I might add that Motorhome Magazine would also be interested if you are successful (or even if you are not). There have been some questions asked there. It would surely generate some interest.

What would really be great is if a Prius could be towed 4-down. I don't think there is any hope for that.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I took my winter tires off this Spring, I spent a lot of time taking a close look at the rear suspension.

First of all, in an otherwise sophisticated car, I was disappointed at their use of a solid beam rear axle. I wonder if an independant rear suspension would improve the ride?

The only thing on the rear wheels are VERY tiny brake drums and ABS sensor wire. With the parking brake released, it's very easy to spin the drum, no drag at all.

I would worry about damage to the rear plastic apron while dolly towing. When I jacked up the front of my Prius to take off the winter tires and put the "all season" tires back on, there was only 2 inches clearance. It would only scrape on plastic, but it would still scrape.

9. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I keep getting visions of you towing the RV with the Prius -- you might end up with better overall gas milage and turn a few heads to boot. LOL

I once towed an Acura on a tow dolly behind a large U-Haul Truck from Texas to Vermont. Backing up was impossible since the car would scissor quickly when trying to go backwards. You will be surprised how hard it is to go long distances without ever using reverse.

If i had it to do over again, I would strongly consider a four wheel trailer with the car totally off the road.

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"I know the "classic" Prius cannot be towed AT ALL. Even rear wheels on the ground has some problem with regen."

Since the rear wheels are not connected with the PSD in any way, I'd like to know how this cold-fusion-esque method of energy generation works.

11. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The RV is actually a 39 foot Fleetwood Bounder Diesel with a 300hp Cummins engine... weighs in at somewhere around 13 tons. Don't think the Prius would move it an inch if the Prius was the vehicle doing the towing!

One of the advantages of going with a dolly with brakes is the limited ability to back up. Surge brakes usually seem to activate on any rear movement, and cause the trailer to scissor pretty quickly. Normal brakes will allow limited, albeit very slow reverse movement... but not more that a couple of feet.

The Bounder generally uses the same diesel pumps that the 18-wheeler trucks use at truck stops, and I-80 runs all the way from Reno to the Chicago area, so needing reverse shouldn't be an issue this trip anyway. Truck stops are generally designed to make it very easy for large trucks to get in and out. Occasionally, the 'real' truckers get annoyed when an RV pulls up to their pumps instead of the auto pumps... but screw 'em! I'll do what I want!

Dan

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hear Hear!

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dan:

For that reason alone Surge brakes should be outlawed. They are DANGEROUS!

In 2000, when my 2000 GMC Sierra SLT was still freshly new, a co-worker bought a new house. He offered to pay for gas and have his wife cook me supper if I used my truck and his rented 2-axle U-haul trailer.

No problems until I tried backing the rented U-Haul up his steep driveway. Naturally the truck pushed up against the coupler, that forced the piston to full stroke, and the trailer brakes locked. My rear tires started to spin and that was that.

There should be a lock-pin that locks the surge cylinder to allow limited backing. Naturally the U-Haul didn't have it, but I was able to rummage a chunk of 2x4 to wedge inbetween.

jay

14. polkanoble

polkanoble New Member

>>>Even rear wheels on the ground has some problem with regen.<<<

OK. I just wrote something that was explained to me by a service advisor in order to dissuade me from trying to tow, and I did not check to see if it was physically true. I did not ask for more explainations after hearing the words "serious damage"

I understand your point that there is no direct connection with the Motor/Generator to the rear wheels. I do wonder if there are no motion sensors, antilock sensors or other such things connected there that might give one of the computers information that could cause it to make a wrong decision.

Hey, I want this to be successful. I would like to tow a Prius, too, preferrably 4-down. ( 4-down may be even worse than a tow dolly when it comes to backing)

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With the rear wheels down, front wheels on a dolly, and the car powered off, about the only thing powered will be the reluctor ring for the rear wheel ABS sensor. I doubt the tiny voltage from the reluctor assembly will damage anything.

You cannot flat-tow a Prius any distance at all. The M/G will be turning and that could cause catastrophic damage.

16. cei955

cei955 Junior Member

I am leaving in 3 days and need to know what everybody found out about towing a Prius on a dolly with the rear wheels on the road?

I love my car and do not want to hurt it but towing my wife's suv almost makes me want to stay home.

17. cei955

cei955 Junior Member

This is how I had to block my dolly and use ramps without allowing the dolly to swivel in order to not tear the fairing off.

I leave next Tuesday for 1,500 mile tow of my prius behind my motor home and will let the forum know how I make out when I get back.

Attached Files:

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cold-fusion-esque you say?

Maybe Toyota has this system hooked-up to the rear wheels, but if they did, I’d expect MUCH MUCH better milage! It’s kinda cold-fusion-esque, as many quantum physicists are calling it scientific heresy . . . but is it their flat-world quantum theory that will soon go poof? :unsure:

I’ll place this link in the Environmental Discussion forum too - as to not hijack this thread. Make any reply there.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,...1627424,00.html

19. cei955

cei955 Junior Member

I towed my prius 1500 miles on the dolly pictured previously 11/6/05 and had no problems. The back wheels were on the ground and the front wheels were on the dolly with the electronic brake "P" engaged. The car can be towed with the back wheels on the ground, but loading and unloading the car with the low profile that it has and all the plastic on the car requires caution.

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Ditto.