1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing a Prius Prime behind an RV

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Mooney Driver, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Mooney Driver

Mooney Driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wanted to follow-up from a previous thread I had posted with the results of towing my 2021 Prius Prime behind an RV for future reference for anyone considering doing the same.

First, I appreciate everyone's suggestions as to how to tow a Prius using a tow dolly. It was helpful and I used several suggestions when I towed my Prime.

Here is how I decided to tow my 2021 Prime: Towed behind a 27' Class C using the Acme EZE tow "Gen S" tow dolly.

(1) I used RV leveling blocks to raise the ramps to allow additional clearance due to the low profile of the Prime. One block under each ramp with 2 blocks leading up to the ramp. There were no issues with clearing the dolly frame using this configuration.
    (2) Pulled the Prime onto the dolly and turned off the vehicle. I did NOT apply the emergency brake. I did NOT put the transmission in Neutral. I did NOT put driver's seat belt around the steering wheel. I did NOT turn the ignition to "Accessories".
    (3) Used straps and chains to tighten the vehicle to the dolly, removed the ramps and drove about 1 mile to check the straps. Straps were new and I had to re-tighten them due to stretching. Drove about 5 miles and did another recheck and had to tighten a bit more. After that, the straps held tight without issue. The Prius did fine behind the RV without any swaying etc. I highly recommend the Acme tow dolly if you are considering buying a tow dolly. Great info on their website.
    (4) I did everything in reverse when I arrived at my destination (200 miles). Before backing the Prime off the ramps, I put the leveling blocks back in place and turned car on and idling for about 3 minutes before driving off the ramps. Result: car back off the ramps without any contact with the tow dolly. I had multiple alerts flashing on the monitor but all of them eventually went away except the "check Engine" warning. The vehicle drove perfectly with the warning on and after several starts the "check Engine" warning went away as well. This was anticipated via several of the comments others had as their experience towing a Prius using a tow dolly. They had checked with their mechanic and were assured there was no harm done with the warning on. Everything is working perfectly, and the car handled fine strapped to the dolly.

I hope someone finds this information useful when deciding to tow their vehicle with a tow dolly.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you did everything right!

Mooney Driver likes this.
  3. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Transmission in neutral would be needed with a rear wheel drive vehicle and the rear wheels rolling on the ground.
    Does anyone ever tow a toad backwards with the rears on the dolly and the fronts on the pavement? Then the steering wheel would need to be secured. Some RWD transmissions will overheat if towed, even in neutral--no fluid is being pumped to the cooler, with the rears turning. Key in accessory position might be needed to allow the transmission to be in neutral for a RWD vehicle.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've never seen a tow dolly that allowed for this, in the sense that they are all engineered for a front-heavy (or at best 50/50) weight distribution.