1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing a U-Haul trailer 650 miles. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Josh Lyman, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased my 2008 Prius from the original owner, and he had installed a Curt class 1 hitch to use with a bike rack. I'm moving from Atlanta to DC over the next month, so I figured I could use the hitch to tow a trailer. He included the matching tongue when I bought the car, so I installed a Curt 2" hitch ball and wiring harness.

The 8' long x 5' tall U-Haul trailer has an empty weight of 900 lb and my furniture is probably under 400 lb since I'm not moving a bed. I went to the U-Haul store and confirmed the trailer attaches properly and the lights work, but I didn't actually get a chance to drive around with the trailer.

I've checked coolant levels, tire tread is pretty good, and the engine oil looks fine with about 5,000 miles since my last change of Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I know to load the trailer heavier in front, though the usual recommendation is 60/40 and I'll probably be closer to 70/30.

Other than increasing my follow distance and staying under 60 mph, are there any other things I should look out for? I've read some posts where people are concerned about the hybrid system overheating, but the drive is extremely flat and it won't be that hot.

[​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sit low, and drive slow.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably would be best to avoid I85 if possible. And take along some extra oil.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Aaron Vitolins and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My advice is don't do it. You will probably exceed the 200 lb. Tongue weight .

egg_salad likes this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the prius can handle it. Just change your oil with synthetic oil before you leave, and check oil at every gas stop along the way. These small Toyota engines tend to consume oil under heavy load (it will definitely be under heavy load!)

Also make sure to not cover the Hybrid battery vent with stuff during your move. Don't want your battery to overheat!

6. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't tongue weight usually 10% of the trailer weight? I won't get close to 1300 lbs much less 2000 lbs.

7. maschronic

maschronic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Josh,

Any reports?? In a few weeks, I'm about to make a trip of 450 miles driving from OC to Eastern Sierras in a few weeks. My drive will be way more demanding than your trip. Starting from 14 freeway is where the roads starts to get demanding. It connects to 395 and an hour past Bridgeport, CA will be my destination. I will drive across Mojave Desert for a few hours before making the infamous climb on the 395. I will have 4 people in my car & towing a 14ft aluminum boat with camping gear in the boat. I'm about to upgrade my brakes to Brembo rotors & pads.

I know what the Nay sayers will say. Internet is filled with them. I'm curious about your no BS assessment on the car, handling, and so fourth. I appreciate any input you have.

John

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Apparently he didn't make it.:D

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Must have died in a horrific crash or at least disabled to the pont where he lost all ability to use PriusChat.

Seems to happen a lot.
    People come on...ask a question....receive lots of free advice...then are lost forever. Never to be heard from again.