1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing my Prius ???

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by lyleshaw, Sep 30, 2009.

1. lyleshaw

lyleshaw New Member

I am not familiar with posting, etc, but we want to put a towbar on our 07 Prius (B Pkg), and wonder if it is possible, or do we have to use a dolly?

Thanks all,

Lyle

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You either need to use a dolly or a trailer. You cannot** flat tow a Prius because the front wheels are mechanically engaged with MG2 (the traction motor/generator) at all times.

A dolly may work, but the front and rear spoilers are low, so clearance could be a problem. A trailer is probably the best option.

** Actually, Bob Wilson once flat towed his Gen 1 Prius, but I wouldn't recommend his method and the Prius owners manual says flat towing is not allowed.

3. Omni-TaG

Omni-TaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    A trailer definitively ! Serious.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Absolutely correct. The entire drivetrain of a Prius is always engaged, regardless of the shifter position. This is because the Prius does not have a transmission in the normal sense, but instead a set of fixed gears and two electric motor-generators. They are always connected unless you dismantle the transaxel.

A flatbed truck is recommended for towing. You can also use a front wheel dolly, but watch the rear end as clearance is low.

I suppose it might be possible to fit free wheeling hubs to a Prius so that it could be towed on its own tires, but I have not read of anyone doing that.

Tom