1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eugene J Young, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Eugene J Young

Eugene J Young New Member

I am an rver and have asked Toyota if the Prius could be towed by using a dolly. On the phone I was told that you could use a dolly and their email response was that you can't tow the prius without using a flatbed...anybody have any experience towing this unit?

2. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

You cannot tow it with the front wheels on the ground as you will overspeed the motor/generator and do serious damage.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eugene:

I'm sure the car will be fine with the car dolly. Just remember to make sure the parking brake is off :oops:

Don't laugh, I've seen folks forget.

The rear wheels are just along for the ride. A flatbed might save some minor rear tire wear, but I'm not sure you want to deal with a flatbed trailer.

Jay

4. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just want to make sure this is the definitive word. I have just purchased my second Fuel Economy Vehicle and want to ensure that I will not damage my Prius on those occasions that I need to tow it using a tow dolly.

For what it is worth, U-Haul will not rent a tow dolly if a Prius is being towed. Likewise, anecdotally at least, the RV forum contributors caution against towing a Prius using a tow dolly with the rationale that regenerative braking from the rear wheels during a tow can damage the Prius.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Anyone want to join me on an Itasca/Mercedes Mileage Marathon run? :)

5. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Duh! I took what I read on an RV forum at face value and repeated without thinking. There is no regenerative braking from the rear.

Still, my question remains. Can you tow a Prius for long distances using a tow dolly?

6. Venturer

Venturer New Member

According to my Toyota dealer, I could tow the Prius on a dolly any distance and any speed I wanted to. As was said before, the rear tires are just along for the ride, and of course to keep the rear of the car from dragging on the road.

Doug

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyoprius\";p=\"116836)</div>
    I'm still amazed at all the misinformation and outright disinformation floating around out there.

Anybody remember that thread awhile back about the rumor the Prius front brake job costing $15,000? Gawd, where do they get this stuff from? BTW: I checked with my local Toyota dealer and he quoted me $132 Canadian, though they had a special on for $100 if I cut the coupon out of their flyer.

I wonder which "expert" at the RV Forums knew more about Toyota engineering than the people that made the damn thing?

*Sigh*

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Page 254 of 2004 manual states you can tow with a dolly under the front wheels. It states this though for emergency towing.