1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing with a Prius: our experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Sep 7, 2009.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, we towed a trailer with the prius when we moved.

[​IMG]

we drove through the mountains at night to keep the car cooler. MG1 heated up more than MG2- max temp was in the 180s. much higher than that and we would stop the car and let it cool down. engine coolant temp was pretty normal, and inverter temps were higher than usual but not sky high.

any time we got off the highway during the day, temps would get too high. we either had to get back on the highway or stop and let the car cool down.

MPG wasn't very good.

the car drove fine, but it was definitely working harder. that was definitely too much weight for the car.

the car has just shy of 72k on it now, and we changed the original transaxle fluid today. it was just as dirty as any other WS that DH has taken out of a car with 72k miles on it. but it was not burned. it smelled like WS. no more metal particles than usual.

the only reason we even attempted it is because we had a CAN-view to closely monitor temperatures at all times. after 700ish miles of this, we would not recommend anyone try it, and we would not do it again ourselves.

for the sake of data, there ya go. alright, bring on the flames if you must. ;)

6 people like this.
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for confirmation that it isn't a great idea to tow with Prius and Toyota would be justified in voiding drive train warranty if a person used a Prius for towing.

Maybe a smaller or more aerodynamic trailer would be better, personally I'll use something else for towing trailers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you see the other thread of a Prius towing a trailer on the highway?? (I think it was titled how to ruin your prius and your mpg).

Good info though. Yes it can tow it. And yes you can also sustain damage if you don't know what you're doing either (cause I'm sure there are plenty of "I towed a trailer without a problem" stories but little did they know that their MG2 temps were really high)

1 person likes this.
  4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to understand why temps would *climb* after you got
    off the highway, when overall torque requirements should have
    been lower and operation intermittent. Did y'all run the whole
    thing harder to make up for the trailer drag, or try locking
    your foot at "usual" RPM ranges or a little more and let the
    terrain play itself out? How heavy do you think the whole trailer
    + load wound up being?
    There was someone a while back who described pulling a 500 pound
    trailer with no issues at all, but that's on the light side.
    A U-haul your size could probably cover a huge mass disparity,
    depending on whether it was loaded with books or bedding. [I was
    going to say "engine blocks or feminine hygiene products" here...]
    _H*

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I've noticed much higher termps also coming off the highway in 99F degree heat than into slower city traffic. I did alot of testing too with my inverter temp monitor and this car has a pretty good heat soak. Without highway speed air through and under the engine compartment things really get hot if your pushing it max temp than slow down. Maybe because all the mg's and the motor are right there tightly packed under the hood.

Galaxee: Surprised you didn't change the trans fluid first knowing you were going to super duty the car. Surprised also that its the original fluid. Basicly I'm just surprised.

BTW: Where did you get the tow hitch please? What model?
    Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "instrumented" tows are always my favorite :)

What MG1 temps do you see on highway without the trailer?

The temp spikes off the highway make me suspect that the inverter radiator is not 'oversized'. Actually I never had such experience with a 2001 Prius (different radiator setup) and I usta work that thing pretty hard.

1 person likes this.
  7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice info
    the moment you get of the highway you have less airflow to cool te car down naturelly.
    so i guess that why you see the increase.

1 person likes this.
  8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The conjecture so far makes some sense, but some things still don't add up. If the temperature rise was a heat soak issue, wouldn't stopping the car make it worse? Galaxee stated that they either had to get back on the highway or stop the car.

Perhaps the issue is related to the energy flow through the PSD. At lower speeds, more power goes through the ICE-MG1-MG2 path. At high speeds a bigger percentage goes directly to the wheels from the ICE. On the other hand, higher speeds require more overall power, so while the percentage might be better, the actual numbers might be worse. Just something to ponder.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  9. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So, we know the temp is higher, but what's the MPG with your trailer on? ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    temps shot up because of the reduced airflow. if we stopped the car, it had to be for hours. (we stopped 3 times before we even got out of NC.)

personally, when i drove it, i was pretty easy on the accelerator. i kinda went by "feel" of how the car was handling it. i didn't want to push it too hard. i was asleep when DH was driving.

total weight of car + everything was about 5200 lbs. too heavy.

ed, if you knew what my/our life has been like for the last several months, you would be less surprised. it's really kicked us in the head. this was an act just short of desperation. i had to be here to start work- or restart the several-month job search in a down economy. and we were running days behind.

the tow hitch was from u-haul- it's basically the curt hitch from what i understand.

i'll have to double check MG temps on the highway... i don't recall. not a lot of highway around here though!

mpg? definitely under 30. i was so exhausted, and basically had to turn around and start work right away. so i didn't get all the gas receipts together and calculate the whole trip. now, i don't remember where i put them.

i think that answers all the questions...

toddrav, scan and dave77 like this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recall the Prius weighs around 3,000 lb, so does this mean you were carrying 2,200 lb of passengers and cargo? I'm thinking that your trailer probably contained lots of books and tools, both are quite heavy. Glad you made the trip without causing damage to your car.

Good luck with your new job!

toddrav likes this.
  12. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I don't think I'd attempt to tow that much. I have been kicking around the idea of towing my motorcycle up to Virginia to ride with a friend. I found a trailer that is only 125lb. The bike is about 500 wet. I'd drain the tank and remove a few parts (bags, windscreen) to ease the load. I figure the Prius will handle it without breaking much of a sweat.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Very sorry to hear of your troubles. This economy is kicking everyone's nice person. Hang in there...I'm hoping for better days this fall.

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Never mind all this towing stuff, when do I come down and bring the root beer.

Wayne

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep- passengers, cargo, trailer and contents added up to roughly 2200 lbs. we did not expect it to add up that much, but we found out a little too late that we had too much stuff to go in the trailer.

DH's tools are substantially over 2500 lbs on their own. we packed those in one of the ABF U-pack containers, and the forklift operator was shocked that he could barely lift the thing. :p someone was extremely proud of that.

Wayne- we're thinking of heading up to WI next month sometime, we'd love to see ya again on the way through.

16. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Towing large loads is a general problem for hybrids, including hybrid SUVs. The exception might be the Lexus A400? Crossover SUV hybrid, which has excellent ICE power and pickup.Gas mileage, however, is only in the mid 20s for premium gas. Not much advantage there.

17. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know they make a hitch for a Prius C but do they make the wiring harness? Thanks:ROFLMAO:

18. 00-00

00-00 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  19. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How about a 2012 Prius C?

20. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm still useing my Prius to pull 1900 lbs of RV load:) ; I just change the oil at 5,000 miles, because the ICE works very hard. I use scangauge 2; and drive slow.:cool:

I LOVE:love: my Prius!!

toddrav likes this.