1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing with the Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tgdetweiler, Feb 27, 2008.

1. tgdetweiler

tgdetweiler New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got introduced to PriusChat by googling "2006 Prius trailer wiring harness" as I have recently decided to move my Hobie Adventure Island Kayak trisailmaran from custom roof rack to a Rack and Roll trailer. I have read pretty much all that is available as a guest and I decided to join the chat forum in order to obtain more information.
    I installed Curt Manufacturing reconfigured type Prius hitch( I saw pictures of melted Prius plastic part from previous model which restricted exhaust gases) and I can say that Curt Manufacturing did a nice job allowing for the exhaust relief on the new model. I now want to install a flat 4 pin wiring harness and from what I am reading I believe the best scenario would be to use a Modulite Converter in order to supply the proper electrical requirements to the Rack and Roll KD trailer which uses sealed incandescent lights.
    Additionally, I know that "Toyota does not recommend towing with the Prius" as stated in the owners manual, however; the combined weight of my rig and trailer is a mere 365LBS. With me driving I still have about 300LBS before I reach the GVWR for the Prius. I think I'll be okay!
    I appreciate any comments or suggestion. I hope that my profile picture displays well because it is a funny scene "going green". Tacking down the highway!

2. Goldwingerx2

Goldwingerx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We pull my wife's mobility cart in a Aluma trailer, total weight is about the same as you are talking about. No problems with it. I had my wiring done by a trailer hitch dealer cost $40 took about 30 minutes. Well worth the money not having to try and find the correct wires since there appears to not be a easy connector for the Prius.

Good luck!:eek:

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sounds like you are most of the way there. Yo umight also join the Yahoo Prius_trailers group; someone there may know more about the harness wiring, or benefit from your research.

4. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Soooooo towing my Seadoo would be a good or bad thing? 850lb ski @400lb tounge wieght.

5. curtland

curtland New Member

I think that is too much tongue weight. There are other posts with problems occurring at around 200lbs of tongue weight. The wieght being towed is argued here.