1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

towing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by roostercruiser, May 30, 2012.

1. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can a 2008 Prius tow a 99 corolla with a car dolly? Or visa versa. Im wanting to move ftom Denver CO to Naples FL. I dont havr the money to ship via a semi truck. Or any ideas would be great.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Considering the Prius has a recommended tow rating of 0 lbs, there's no way I'd tow a Corolla with it, esp. for that distance.

It looks like the curb weight of the 99 Corolla is >2400 lbs. That's greater than the tow rating of most unibody cars (non-SUVs) that I know of.

You should ditch the Corolla, in your case.

3. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just get a family member to drive along with you (wife or cousin) perhaps g/friend.

Maybe someone from FL is visiting your area and would be happy to drive back to FL in your Corolla.

Post some ads online - someone may respond

4. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you could offer them food and motels along the route (some student can love this trip)

Also did you try to sell corolla locally?

5. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Cant get rid of corolla. Its the wifes amd its paid for. Thanks for tge good advice

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope don't do that. I'd say ok if it was across town but no way that distance. I have a Curt hitch and regurly tow a trailer for Home D runs and putting a few hundred pounds out back the car has a hard time stopping. For some reason tow weight totally negates regen assist on the brakes. And the brakes on a prius without regen assist suck. If you don't believe me get up to 70 miles and hour and put the car in neutral and try to stop firmly. That would pretty much replicate a tow of that weight only it would be twice as bad with weight out back. Plus my usual mileage of 47 instantly goes to 23 mpg's when towing even a few miles. The car is not happy at all.