1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Towing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ervajv, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ervajv

ervajv New Member

Has anyone tried to put in the water and take out a jet ski? I do not have to tow it more than 200 ft, but did not know if it could pull it out, weighs about 875lbs.

Thanks for any information

Eric

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Eric,
    Not sure if this is relevant, but I occasionally tow a shifter kart on an open trailer. The kart and trailer weighs about 400 lbs. I tow this on the open highway at speeds up to 70mph and over moderate hills( in the Denver area). Even with the thin air, it hasn't been a problem. It does take a mileage hit, and the car is a bit slugish but not too bad. I would guess that 875 lbs is close to the limit, but if you are just pulling it 200 feet I would guess it could do it. Just stay out of the water!

3. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're only going a short distance like 200ft, there shouldn't be a problem.

The major issue with towing is it the added stress on the componenets and especially the heat created by the engine, motors, and inverter. They would be pulling a lot more power than designed for, especially if the car was loaded up as well. Brakes are an issue in a conventioanl vehicle, I would assume the Prius's brakes would be OK since the MGs would take most of the hit, but I really have no idea. If this is the summer with the AC going, there'd be a ton of extra heat to get rid of. If the battery gets hot the computer tries to use it less to prevent damage, there'd be a real performance issue trying to pull a trailer & loaded vehicle with the engine alone.

There wouldn't be these issues in a short tow like that. I personally wouldn't take 875lbs on the highway or distance, but maybe someone has?