1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyo Versado Eco Tires - opinion?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by KJF, Aug 27, 2011.

1. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My local Les Schwab Tire dealer says the only low rolling resistance (LRR) tire they carry to replace my original Yokohama Avid S33 (P195/65R-15) is a Toyo brand 89H Versado Eco All Season Blackwall (195/65R-15). I have not seen this tire discussed and am not seeing it on any tire lists and a search of the site turned up nothing.

Has anyone had any experience with this tire? Opinions anyone?

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Les Schwab carries their odball brands that no one else carries so it's hard to make comparisons. They may be a great tire but I avoid Les Schwab except to install tires I bring to them.

3. spressomon

spressomon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just about time for new tires on my '09 too and have been searching for real world reviews of the Versado too!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know of another 2010 Prius owner that got the Toyo Versado Eco's. He has not had them long and seems to think that they are OK but he did no research of any kind. That is the only LRR tire that Les Scwab said they had so that is what he got.

The press releases for this tire are dated end of June and first part of July 2011 so it seems they have only been available for a short time. That may be why we have no real world experiences yet.

I may have to be a guinea pig. In this rural area, choices are fairly limited.

5. 2PriusCars

2PriusCars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

YES--I have a set on my 2008 Prius now. At 71,958 miles I replaced a set of Goodyears, which I was not wild about compared to the original OEM set. I can tell you that the Toyos are noticeably quieter and, if my senses are to be trusted, seem to track better. It's too soon to see how long they will wear, but the OEM set only lasted about 30,000 miles. I seem to be getting about the same mileage with the Toyos, if the in-dash readout can be trusted...

6. 2PriusCars

2PriusCars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

K, I already have a set and am quite happy so far. They seem to roll very quietly, or at least quieter than the set I replaced (Goodyear). They feel better in the wet, like any new set of tires would I guess, but I'm definitely glad I got new rubber on before the weather turned. I heard this is the tire that Toyota has chosen as OEM on the Prius v, so I figure they have to be pretty well matched to the car.

7. Bazil

Bazil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Same tyre?? (OK, OK, tire)

Attached Files:

8. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I purchased the Toyo Versado Eco Tires in October. They make more noise than my worn ones (which I would expect). Have not had much wet to test them on. My mileage has taken a hit but the tire purchase was coupled with temperature decrease so hard to tell. Guess I am neither raving or complaining at this point....

9. 2PriusCars

2PriusCars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Know what you mean--mileage is really hard to track. You never know if the driving conditions are equivalent. I think the best way to do it is over a long time, tracking many tankfuls.
    Surprised you find the Toyos seem to be louder...I don't have any instrument to actually test the sound range, but a reduction in noise seemed to be the most obvious change when I put my new set on.

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if you're on this thread and you have these tires how are they wearing? How many miles do you think you'll get out of 'em?

It's been 20 months since this post/thread was started and I still can't find any independent mpg review or wear and traction review of this tire as it compares to Michelin and Bridgestone...

Les Schwabb gives lots of free services if you buy tires from them and they're everywhere on the west coast so I really want to buy from them but these are the only Prius tires they offer and I'm not gonna buy 'em if they don't get equivalent MPG as Michelin and Bridgestone.

And how can a tire be on the market for 2 years and still not be independently reviewed? Wth?

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a lot of America's Tire and Costco stores too. They all provide a lot of services. They sell better tires too! :p

PriusCamper likes this.
  12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks F8L...

Which do you prefer America's Tire or Costco?

I have a Costco card so I guess I'll get some Bridgestone's or Michelin's there? But still not sure?

Today I got the folks at Les Schwab to fix my flat tire for free because I was a loyal customer for a decade before I got the Prius. Do other tires places offer free rotation and free flat repair? I sure hope so because a tire that can't compete in tests with leading brands are obviously not the kind of tires I can justify buying...

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They all offer free tire rotation for any vehicle in your household. I can't remember Costco's flat repair policy. America's Tire sells Certificates that cover a tire repair but it is for specific tires so you can't just buy 1 Cert and be covered on all four tires. Most flat repairs are covered anyway BUT a destroyed tire will require a Cert. I would contact America's Tire and ask them their policy and remind them that Les covers flats.

Part of the difference is in the cost. Les doesn't carry the name brand tires the other stores carry and they are fairly pricey.

I prefer America's Tire but Costco has treated me well. Just make sure you get an estimate from each and use that as bargaining material. America's Tire will match prices.

Ohh, and twice a year America's Tire runs a $100 rebate on the purchase of 4 tires. Costco alternates their $70 rebate on Michelin and Bridgestone every month. Costco takes the $70 relight off the total bill whereas America's Tire charges you the full amount and you file for a rebate with Michelin or Bridgestone.

PriusCamper likes this.
  14. Ooi

Ooi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just got a set of Toyo Versado Eco (195/55R16) today :D Was looking into Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 but Costco couldn't get them in my size anymore (n) The Toyo was the same price as the Ecopia at my tire shop, plus a $60 cheque rebate (vs. Bridgestone's $70 AMEX rebate). I got a set of Nokian Hakka R for the Winters, I'll see how these Toyo perform in the other 3 seasons :)

15. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Now that you've had the Toyos for a while, what do you think? Are they wearing and handling well? Direct Tire is advising me to look at them rather than the Yokohama dB Super -E's as the latter is being discontinued.
    Thanks -

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be looking at the Energy Saver A/S. the dB is way overpriced.

17. RebL

RebL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, F8L. Is there a site you'd recommend? When I checked on the internet, the prices I saw were similar to or higher than the dB's installed at the dealership($178/tire incl. road hazard warranty). I was also looking at the Nokian entyres as I have the WRG2's for winter. The tire place said they have a lifetime warranty (!) but I would need either 205/55/16 or 205/50/16 as they don't come in 195/55/16. Still mulling over stock vs slightly larger. I don't want bad mileage, but my kids drive this car, so handling and safety (short stops, wet and dry) are primary. Also looking at Conti PureContact based on CR and Tirerack's tests; can't seem to find them locally.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TireRack.com, DiscountTire (America's Tire), tireBuyer.com or if you have Costco near you. Keep in mind that Michelin runs a $70 rebate on the purchase of 4 tires. Most major retailers offer this rebate.

The Energy Saver A/S is the most efficient and does well in all other categories except severe snow. The PureContact is nice but not as efficient and it rides a little rough.

FriarNurgle likes this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have specific experience with that brand of tire.

But I do have recent and specific experience with Les Schwab. Infact "unfortunately" just months before I traded in my Honda Fit, I had Les Schwab install new tires. ( Had I known I was going to finally trade it in, I would just passed on putting new tires on).

But I know Les Schwab can order you any tire you desire. They also had very limited options for The Fit. I had them order a set of Yokohoma Avid Ascends.

Probably cost me a little more than if I ordered them myself, but I think the real advantage to Les Schwab if you live in their region of operation, is the customer service.

I've always been impressed with their post purchase customer service. Flat repairs, rotations etc.

20. Greymetal007

Greymetal007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was about to purchase some Energy Savers from TreadDepot as they have a great price on the 185/65r15 however they said I couldn't get them in until Monday but did recommend the Toyo Versado Eco and could possibly get them tom, Friday at latest! There are no Costcos around me or I would order the Energy Savers from them. Are there any more updates for this "eco" tire? Any more long term, fuel mileage, or other features observed (quiet and smooth, etc.)?