1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40? huh?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clintd555, Feb 20, 2006.

1. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

I was just browsing the inventory of some local Toyota dealers in my area. Surprisingly there there's quite a few in stock. Each dealer has at least 3 in stock... most of them have 5 in stock. However, they are wanting $24k for a Package 1, $29k for a Package 6 and$25k for Package 3. The asking price is pretty much the same across all the dealers in my area.

Some of the added on fees include Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40 @ $619. This features coated undercoat, a finish on top of the paint and a few extra to what seems like nice things to have... but shouldn't these be INCLUDED in MSRP? I'm unsure if I'll pay for them as add-ons?

Also are there Floormats really good quality at $209? And why aren't they like ummm STANDARD?

Is it normal to pay a $400 documentation fee?? This one seems highly suspecious.

Are these just tricks to get you to pay above MSRP? :unsure:

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

It’s a conspiracy. They all get together and gouge.

Try buying out of state. Buy your car wherever the price is right. When it comes in, take an airplane to pick it up and make a great vacation out of it. You could even drive all the way across country if you wanted
    :rolleyes:

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you must be in the southeast. SET is well known for that.

SET: Screw Everyone Tothehighestextentpossible

:lol:

oh yeah, and most dealers feel they can get away with a 399 doc fee.

Mid-Atlantic does not automatically add on the Toyoguard from what i hear. and floormats are indeed not standard. just in case you prefer to not get the regular mats and opt for the all weather ones instead.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a black pkg. 1 car on 1/7/06. We got the paint protector, what you make mention above, factory floor mats including the trunk, and VIN etching. We paid $23,861 before the trade in. However, this dealer does NOT charge any fee to shuffle the papers around. Just uses a service for the reg. & title- $30.

I personally think the Toyota sealer & under coating is a waste unless you live in a cold climate. Floor mats are highly desirable to save your carpets. But, most dealers do charge ridiculous fees to shuffle the papers-usually @ $400.

Good luck. B)

5. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Yes I live in the southeast... looks like I maybe running into the same situation that I ran into when I bought my Jetta. At the time when I bought my Jetta, the newly designed Jetta was in high demand and the local dealers took advantage of the opportunity.

I ended up taking my search to the internet and found a dealer in New Orleans gave me a good price on the car plus paid my airlfaret down there. It was a nice and exciting drive back. :) I'll do it again if I have to... but I hope I don't!

I wonder if the Honda dealers will be difficult to deal with...

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

I’m in SC and would recommend Toyota of Orangeburg. They seem to be a no pressure dealer. I’ve forgotten how much they charge for paperwork, but it was somewhere around $130.00. I paid $700.00 over invoice and saved $270.00 on the paperwork. So that turned out to be about $70.00 under the $500.00 over invoice that I was offered at a dealer in Charleston SC
    The Honda dealers expected me to shine their shoes while they insulted me, so I didn’t buy from them. Remember that you are in the SET area and will be charged an extra $635.00 for the privilege of buying from them. Good luck
    :D

7. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

I would check with your states vehicle licensing department and see what the cost is to register and transfer a title. The State of Washington the fee is between 30-40 dollars (I forget). I had all that information when I went to get my Prius.
    My dealer was very honest and didn’t try to lie or cheat in anyway. I don’t know what state you’re from but $400 documentation fee seems awfully high.
    Let me know what you find out as I'm curious to know.
    Kathleen

8. cdavid

cdavid Member

Oh, its worse that that here in North Carolina. The Documentation fee is in addition to the title fee. The DMV charges about $60 for new title, tags, etc. I have to pay the dealer $125. Then, I have to pay them $595 for the Doc fee. You know, essentially the sales receipt that the computer prints out. How much profit is in that? Probably about $594.90, allowing .10 for ink and paper.

Alot of people drive north to Virginia to buy their Toyotas just because of this.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $595???!!!??? what the heck dealer are you using??

doc fees here are aboslutely horrible, i'll wholeheartedly agree, but no way should you be paying more than 399.

don't forget the "vehicle use tax" in addition to title fees and such... and yearly property tax... no wonder i keep the prius registered up north! :eek:

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On most Toyota's mats are not standard. This is left to the region to decide what to do in each case.

Toyoguard is an SET addon by the local region. $400 doc fee is pretty typical on every vehicle not just Prius'.

I too live in NC, OBX, but drive up to VA everyday to work there selling Prius' :D . $399 is the typical fee here for HonYota's. $31.50 for tags and $20 for DMV. But tax is only 3% ( like NC ) so often it's way lower than other states. NY, NJ, CT for example.

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

don't forget the "vehicle use tax" in addition to title fees and such... and yearly property tax... no wonder i keep the prius registered up north! :eek:
    [snapback]213416[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

:huh: I hope your not justifying something illegal? :eek:

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no worries. my state of legal residence is wisconsin. i get the student-residency-mess workaround. ;)

it would be more convenient to register here, but that would be a step to "change domiciles." i don't particularly enjoy being picked out and nearly run off the road by big pickup trucks because i'm "not from 'round here"

13. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyoguard is Southeast Region dealer profit sponsored by the regional distributor. It is totally unneccessary and don't let yhe dealer tell you otherwise. Do like I did, leave the SE region an buy from the Chicago region. Combine it with a small vacation and enjoy the drive home. There are many MSRP deals to be had in the Chicago region, and Illinois has a legislated $60 cap on admin fees. The Chicago region is also selling true option package 8 cars with factory leather. Check www.vehix.com