1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ToyoGuard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wakeman84, Jan 2, 2006.

1. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

I'm thinking about buying a prius and was just wondering if this ToyoGuard really make that noticeable of a difference in the so called

* Glass Etch Theft Deterrent

* Interior Fabric Protector

* Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner

* Undercoating/Sound Shield

or is it just another way for the dealer to tack on extra charges? Thanks.

Mike

2. tag

tag Senior Member

It's just another way for the dealer to tack on extra charges, IMHO.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    all those services can be done at any dealership or detail shop. if you really want the stuff (it does provide "some" benefit) then shop around for a better price.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    meh, skip it.

my insurance didn't give a discount for the glass etching, the paint sealant ended up getting replaced by Zaino, we put on seat covers so the fabric coating was nulled (hubby's a mechanic and gets things dirty) and i don't think the undercoating did a damn thing either.

save your 600 bucks.

5. cdavid

cdavid Member

FWI, that Toyoguard for $650 only cost the dealership $200. I know this for a fact. When I got my 06 Sienna, my price was based on invoice, which they showed me. They gave me the wrong invoice at first (I didn't want Toyoguard) and I saw the invoice price.

Don't waste your money.

Treat your interior with 303 Fabric Protector (32 oz for $20 retail). Teat your leather and vinyl with 303 Aerospace Protectant ($14 for 32 oz). If you really want glass etching, you can get the same kit they use for $20, but as above, likely doesn't make any insurance difference. The sound shield is bogus, the thin, light weight oil undercoating is unnecessary in modern automotive manufacturing, and the day you get your car, love it by putting your own sealant on it. It will just take a couple hours to do a really good job and will be just as effective, probably more since you did it yourself, did it right, and didn't rely on someone working minimum wage maybe doing a sloppy and incomplete job.

6. popoff

popoff New Member

It's an expensive addon that isn't worth it and carries a huge profit for the dealer as stated above.

You didn't say where you are but here, in the southeast, it's tacked on to many cars at the port and you are forced to take it. The dealer might knock off a few bucks to make you feel good. Bottom line the dealer will still be making $300 or so and you will feel good about saving a few bucks.

Extended warranties from a dealer are similar. A dealer will charge you $1500 - $2500 while you can get the exact same thing here at PC for under $1,000

Gook luck!

I wish you all the best.

7. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Popoff is quite correct. I'm in Florida and Southeast Toyota adds the Toyoguard at the port. It's on my Tacoma, and mom's Corolla. It seems like ALL the cars and trucks have it here.

Off topic, I'm interested in a prepaid maintenance program through the dealer. I'm pretty new on PC (still awaiting the car-- due this month), and understand that maintenance programs are available from PC. Is this correct? If so, will they be good at any dealership?

8. cdavid

cdavid Member

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PC= priuschat, in 99% of instances used on this board. :)

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    $200??

they sure scammed you

11. popoff

popoff New Member

Call
    Troy Dietrich
    Toyota of Greenfield
    (413) 772-0231
    [email protected]

This the genuine Toyota deal and is accepted at all dealers.

Please do not use Troy's deal as a bargaining tool with any other dealer.

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The maintenance plan I bought from the dealer when I got my car is good at any Toyota dealer in the US, except perhaps Hawaii.

I wish I hadn't bought it and generally think it's a rip-off. The only maintenance your Prius will need are oil changes. I had a good mechanic who worked on my Camry, now I can't get my oil changed there. You can view the Prius Maintenance booklet online, it's just oil changes and inspections and a couple of filter changes, which are easy.

13. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

thanks guys, I'm in south carolina and will probably order my prius in the next several weeks (i'm holding out for the magnetic grey color) but still would like to go test drive a hch before buying. With all the talk about dealers trying to scam people I want to be sure I have something to bargain with because I know dealers here don't sell prii like in other places.

Mike

14. popoff

popoff New Member

I'd suggest you consider buying it in Virginia. The money and hassle you would save could very well justify the cost of the trip.

15. wakeman84

wakeman84 New Member

How would buying in virginia save me money and hassle? I'm just curious because I have already considered buying somewhere else because dealers here don't have a large supply and aren't getting the higher end packages which is what I would like. Thanks.

Mike

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    much larger supply of Priuses in VA means more choices, faster delivery AND dealing with a sales staff that is much more familiar with a Prius. i would hesistate to buy from a dealer that sells only a handful a month. obviously not their bread and butter and that is where you are most vunerable

17. popoff

popoff New Member

As you probably know, Toyota has a distributor for the southeastern states, including SC, NC, FL, and GA.

This distributor is known for "packing" vehicles that come into their sales area. Packs include Toyoguard, high dealer prep fees, accessories you do not want,etc. but are forced to buy if you want the car.

Virginia is controlled by another distributor, perhaps even Toyota itself (I'm not sure.)

Last March, while the supply was so short, I bought my pkg 6, off the lot, at a nice discount. My brother wanted a different color and they had it for him 7-10 days later. There was no extra stuff that we didn't want and the "dealer prep fee" was significantly lower.

I bpught mine from Lewis Pierce at Haley in Toyota in Roanoke. Other PC members have reported similar results from a dealer in Manassas. I know other PC users could add additional names to the list of dealers I gave you.

I'd suggest you give it a shot. If you don't have a salesman's name, ask for the internet sales person.

Good luck.

18. popoff

popoff New Member

"Picked up new 06 yesterday Thanks to all here!"

Another thread that talks about Toyota Southeast

19. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Jan 2 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]183146[/snapback]</div>
    After many years of buying new vehicles (mainly Honda / Acura products) we bought (actually ORDERED)our first TOYOTA ('07 Prius Touring, Pkg. 5). When I saw most of the "window stickers" on vehicles on the Dealer's lot that "TOYOGUARD $699" was an installed option I assumed it was a "rip-off". Come on.... "paint sealant".......... I use Klasse polish and sealant.......lasts for months even in this brutal Florida sun. Don't need no "stinkin' paint sealant" I muttered to myself !! When we actually (after test drive) went inside and started "negotiations" I strictly said NO TOYOGUARD, NONE AT ALL !! The Dealer said NO problem, as our vehicle has NOT HIT PORT (Jacksonville, FL) yet !! He said they apply the sealants (inside, outside and under the vehicle) and glass etch at the PORT !! :eek: As long as you "catch" an incoming Toyota vehicle BEFORE it hits the port you can delete the ToyoGuard Package with no problem !! At the time of our "negotiations" and placing the actual order, our Prius was somewhere on the "high seas" being shipped over :D !!

20. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xbdude @ Jan 2 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]183146[/snapback]</div>
    That's what many people think with SE Toyota. But there are SE dealers who can get their automobiles without Toyoguard (I did) if you request it.

Rick
    #4 2006