1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota: $50k Hydrogen Sedan By 2015

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, May 6, 2010.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Lithium-ion batteries aren’t the only automotive cleantech that appears to be getting cheaper. Toyota’s head of advanced autos, Yoshihiko Masuda, tells Bloomberg that the Japanese automaker has cut the cost of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCVs) by 90 percent in the last five years or so. Mid-decade, Toyota’s per-car estimates for FCVs ran near a million dollars per car. With costs now closer to the $100k mark, Toyota says it plans to cut that number in half by 2015. If they can make that happen, Masuda says, a $50k hydrogen FCV will be on like Donkey Kong.

Toyota: $50k Hydrogen Sedan By 2015 | The Truth About Cars

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting but still not convinced H2 is the way unless we can produce it cleanly.

3. GWhizzer

GWhizzer not so Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree Tideland. Where does the hydrogen come from? Mostly hydrocarbons today. And how about the infrastructure for distribution and storage? I think batteries or carbon-neutral hydrocarbons (e.g. biodiesel) are better bets at the moment.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So let me see:

• $50 K - fuel cell vehicle
    • $50 K - GM two-mode (Ok, add $5-10k)
    Hummm, what to do? What to do?

I'll have to cruise around in one of our Prius and think about it.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We might be more enlightened after reading BMW experiences with H2...

They even talk H2 venting away from tanks due to safety issues...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_7]BMW Hydrogen 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Mr.Toyoda, leave H2 behind, please...

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the moment, while still every source of energy is possible, I would say the only secure way (and no bet) is to save energy, that is to say, consume less.
    New technologies have to be sustainable, safe and comfortable. Biodiesel is not sustainable, H2 is not safe, Batteries are not comfortable. A mix of these, regarding each kind of service, is probably the future, but only if energy saving issues are completed.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually, the best answer is to let the market decide. If someone wants to put a hydrogen or electric-only or even a wind-up spring vehicle on the market, as long as they meet uniform safety standards, bring it on . . . compete. Let the buyer decide if it is a good deal.

Advanced, high-power, fuel cells have utility but to announce a product at $50k, well let the market decide. I'll let others take my place in that line.

Bob Wilson

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Their target remain the same (2015). We now know about the price and other details. 90% cost reduction in one car generation (5 years) is alarming.

I do hope the infrastructure catch up with the progress that the cars are making. I agree with a car company executive (Honda?) that said if you build a great fuel cell car that people want, the infrastructure and everything will follow.

The first fuel cell gotta be a hybrid to downsize the stack and capture braking energy back into the battery.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hydrogen can be generated from anything like electricity. Toyota prefers using natural gas, judging from well-to-wheel efficiency analysis. Infrastructure and distribution will follow the demand if enough people have the awesome (compared to gas-only cars) fuel cell cars.

Storage in the car now is using a compressed tank and achieving 431 miles range. There are new emerging technologies such as Bloom Box. Google and other big companies are testing it and it seems to be a huge breakthrough.

At $50k, it won't be affordable for mass market. The first Prius was introduced at $19,995. Hopefully it comes down to that level by 2020.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    hydrogen - and with each $50K car, you get a free jet pack
    :lol:

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody know how much the hydrogen costs?
    If you had a FCHV, and had a pumpstation, how much you will pay to refill?

14. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hydrogen could come from nuclear power plants. It is not really best from the current designs unless you want to use electricity to split water which is pretty energy intensive. New designs could produce hydrogen along side of the electricity aided by excess heat from the plant that would normally be wasted. This stuff is quite far away technology, it is not even close to as ready as battery operated electric cars are becoming.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand the fascination with hydrogen. It's insanely expensive and ridiculously inefficient. The entire concept is fundamentally flawed. No matter what source of energy is used, it would be cheaper and more efficient to charge batteries.

Read the BMW article - the car's 'tank' doesn't even stay full by itself. It needs its own portable fridge to keep the "fuel" - no, I mean hydrogen - supercooled, or it all vents away. Brilliant.

Hydrogen is not 'future technology'. It's a complete and utter waste of time and money.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Note: "New Prius" in the graph is actually 2004-2009 Prius. The Gen3 2010 Prius is more efficient.

If hydrogen is produced from the natural gas, overall well-to-wheel is the most efficient solution, even better than hybrids that run on gasoline.

Having said that, there is no EV on the graph to compare.

Attached Files:

17. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Germans plan to make 'synthetic natural' gas from CO2 ? The Register

Remorseless German and Austrian boffins have a cunning new plan which could be good news for cutting down on fossil fuel use: they can make "synthetic natural gas" using electric power, water and carbon dioxide.

"Our demonstration system in Stuttgart splits water using electrolysis. The result is hydrogen and oxygen," explains Dr Michael Specht of the Zentrum für Sonnenenergie- und Wasserstoff-Forschung (Solar energy and Waterstuff [Hydrogen] Research centre - ZSW).

"A chemical reaction of hydrogen with carbon dioxide [then] generates methane – and that is nothing other than natural gas, produced synthetically."

---

Well that's one way to store hydrogen! In practice it would be used in liquefied natural gas (LNG) or compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles. The researchers are proposing using it as a storage system for electricity generated off-peak, to average out the demand for electricity.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found another graph showing CO2 output of FCHV using different types of energy sources. One thing that really stands out from the graph below...

FCHV run on hydrogen produced by Coal produces less CO2 than a Diesel combustion car!

There are more interesting stuffs in the document, especially on page #12 about durability, reliability and cost reduction.

[​IMG]

Source (PDF)

Attached Files:

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then we're not seeing the whole picture.
    And where does renewable-source electricity show up on the CO2 graph?

20. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm glad to see somebody here ask that question. This is often overlooked int he hydrogen equation yet it is the MOST important thing for determining how it would succeed in the market.

Last I heard, hydrogen costs about 5 times more than gasoline per mile driven. (somebody please tell me this has changed, I don't have any recent data.)

So great.. Gas hits $4 a gallon and everyone complains about it. Then some smug person drives by smiling in the hydrogen powered vehicle who pays the equivalent of $25 a gallon. That'll get the masses switching over, won't it?

I know several people who own a Prius and don't care at all about the environment. They don't believe in global warming. But they drive a Prius because it saves them gas, hence money. If hydrogen can't eventually do the same thing, then it will never succeed.

Right now the most efficient vehicle we can drive is an electric vehicle like the Leaf.