1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota: A hybrid minivan is not out of the question

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    First Images: Toyota Unveils Entire Line of Prius Hybrids | Reuters

2 people like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well they have to decide...do they go with a 4 cylinder HSD or a 6 cylinder HSD design?

a 4 will yield better mpg but it may be slow (esp. given how portly minivans have become) but will there be enough mpg gain if they stuff a 6 cylinder HSD drivetrain over the standard Sienna?

Their new 2.5 litre engine should be a good starting point. It's much more efficient than the 2.4 litre it replaces and it's good enough for duty in a somewhat heavy Venza.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Hmm. I am thinking we were mostly looking to see a Mini-Van, not a v for versatile vagon.

A turbo 1.8 liter HSD would probably be sufficient for a Mini-Van. And the parts could be sold as aftermarket for the other 1.8 liter Prius vehicles. This would make a full Miller cycle engine, which would have even better efficency than the Atkinson engine.

4. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    A true Miller cycle engine would be way too inefficient in simple cruise, light engine loads/loading (only partial cylinder "charge") mode. What is needed is a multi-mode DFI (Direct Injection) engine that runs in Atkinson Mode, HIGH compression ratio, 15-18:1 CR, for cruising, and then transitions into Miller Cycle Mode (no intake valve closing delay) as the throttle approaches the fully open position.

With a variable volume positive displacement SuperCharger (PSD driven..?) no throttle plate would be required. SC could be used to "meter" intake airflow volume/pressure throughout the ICE's operational range.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The V is a wagon, everyone knows this.

And the C-max is not a microvan, it is also a wagon; the one coming to the US seats 5. Minivans or microvans seat more than 5, it is that simple. I love how they try to paint it some complex thing, how to classify these, but it's not difficult.

And Toyota I think has long said they might, maybe, possibly would have a hybrid van. At this point there isn't one on the horizon, period.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was in the Bahamas last week and saw an Estima minivan there, it would be perfect. I don't know why they don't bring it to the USA? It would be perfect and they already make it.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

I like Doug Coleman, but his dismissive objection to classifying the v as a wagon ("That doesn't do it justice.") is absurd.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    *sounds of cash registers*
    Money
    It's a hit
    Don't give me that do goody good bullshit...

People will pay much more money for larger vehicles. 'Twas ever so (dumb).

9. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Absurd... hmmm. Depends on what your emotional reaction is when you hear the word "wagon". If it's a positive one for you, I am completely fine telling you that it's a wagon. But whether you like it or not, lots of people still cringe when they hear the word wagon... they just don't have favorable opinions of what it conjures up in their mind. Never mind that they could be pleasantly surprised by this particular "wagon"... it's not a good starting point for them.

And I'll repeat the point I made to Brad. We test these models with consumers before we show them to the public - every which way you can think of. In the case of the Prius v, a particular question we had was "what do you call it?" And as I said, when we asked consumers what they thought it was, because many had negative reactions to their idea of what a wagon meant to them, and they LIKED the Prius v - they could not bring themselves to call it one. That's what I'm trying to relate.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So the prius v is a wagon, but you won't call it one because it has negative connotations? Is that an accurate summery of what you wrote?

If that is that case wouldn't it be better to just not the w word instead of saying its not a wagon?

11. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What I am trying to say is that the Prius v is a wagon if you so deem it to be and that works for you. That's fine with us. But I'm not going to try to sell someone on the fact that it's a wagon if that person doesn't like "wagons". Then I'll probably just call it a big Prius with more space, and let them call it whatever they want. Does that make sense?

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  12. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical PR BS :D
    If walks like a duck
    Quack like a duck
    Then it a Duck

P V is a wagon plane and simple

We test these models with consumers before we show them to the public - every which way you can think of. In the case of the Prius v, a particular question we had was "what do you call it?" And as I said, when we asked consumers what they thought it was, because many had negative reactions to their idea of what a wagon meant to them, and they LIKED the Prius v - they could not bring themselves to call it one. That's what I'm trying to relate.

What is the difference between concumers and public

I believe most members on PChat are consumer since we have bought a prius already

And members here will call it a wagon

13. Prius Team

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, glad I've built a lot of faith in you. [​IMG] For the record, we have plenty of PR outlets. When I come here to talk with all of you at PC, I hope you understand I'm not blowing smoke. The whole point is to have good discussion, and hopefully, throw some data your way.

I did forget one piece of this... among all the people we asked, the subset of Prius owners was more likely to call it a wagon than any other descriptor. I think it's safe to explain that that was because of their reference point. So in that sense, yes, I agree that "members here will call it a wagon." And again, that's just fine.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

14. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Enough with Prius v or Prius Wagon. Let's just say it's a supersized prius.

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Doug,

I really am not concerned with how you name it. What I want (need) is a high MPG AWD model. Please consider adding an extra electric motor driving the rear axle as is done in the Highlander.

JeffD

16. slortzII

slortzII New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect that a large portion of those same people that are repulsed into not considering a car because it is a wagon are the same people that are repulsed by the name Prius. Which are also likely the same people that would be repulsed by the idea of a minivan rather than an SUV.

When saying "were not there," regarding the hybrid minivan it is only with respect to cost. Toyota has been building 2 different hybrid minivans for years and selling them in Japan. I'm not sure if their still making the Estima hybrid but it did exist soon after the Gen II Prius came out here. There is also, the larger Alpherd Hybrid, which I would totally be interested in buying if it were available in left-hand drive.

17. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Doug, Can you please tell us why Toyota refuses to bring the Estima min-van over here to the US?

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    hmmm, I duno, along with the electric motors, the atkinson in the 2011 hyhi has 280 hp and its counterpart the RX-450h has 295 hp yet they still yield 30mpg. Do we need more?

As for the wagon drama ... all I know it that this sucka will be able to hold a lot of additional batteries, come modding time.
    ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that's a wagon!

Attached Files:

20. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Doug, I understand what you are saying and I think it's great. There is no need to label everything as wagon, car, truck, and so forth, and shove people and vehicles into categories! "You're a soccer mom and if you don't drive an SUV, you won't fit in." The same statement could be made about minivans, pickup trucks, sports cars, hybrids, and numerous other vehicles. Why can't someone just put four wheels on something, label it an R350 and let people call it whatever they want or better yet not categorize it at all? Toyota did the same with the Prius v. If they call it a wagon, there will be consumers that are turned off because they will feel categorized and labeled if they drive it. "Haha! Stanley drives a wagon! What a loser!" . If they just let it be a car/vehicle, that group of people won't automatically be turned off and won't feel they are being labeled/categorized if they buy it. Doug did say they performed a lot of market research and asked people all around what they would call it, and people didn't have a response (aka "wagon").

Thanks Doug. :)

RX350 = [​IMG]
    2010 Mercedes-Benz R-Class R350 4MATIC - Yahoo! Autos

Did you give Ford a hard time for calling their truck an "F150" instead of a "Ford Truck" ?
    Audi "A4" BMW "M3" Acura "TSX" Cadillac "CTS" Chrysler "300" Infinity, Lexus, Scion, Volvo, ... I could go on and on.