1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Added Security System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusK, Jun 7, 2007.

1. PriusK

PriusK New Member

Let me first say Howdy I am new to the forum and also apologize if this is in the wrong catagory i posted in General because I wasn't sure of an appropriate home for it.

I have a 2007 Prius regular eddition package 6 with smart key. Now this car was purchased by my mother so I was not actually at the dealer at the time to ask my question and now when I call they have not been able to truly answer my question.

The Toyota dealer that sold the car has a policy where they add a security system to their cars and then at time of purchase they want you to pay extra for the system and a theft insurance type program otherwise they have to remove a small security moduale from the car. Now my mother wanted the car to be as safe as possible so she payed for this system she did not like the idea of them removing anything from the car, she felt it was a cheap trick but she paid anyway. Incedentally the cost was 600 approx. for the system itself not for the theft insurance program.

From what I can see there is a small black module with a red blinking light about the size of a box of maches under my steering colum roughly half way down the underside towards the gas and brakes. The dealer described the system to me as an extra security system besides the audible alarm intrusion system provided on the prius, which provides anti carjacking with vibration sensors and an engine kill. He says it is definately not LoJak this is Toyota's system. He stated it should be active when I lock my doors.

My question is does anyone else have this add on or have you heard of it. The salesman was not much help in answering how it prevents car jacking and how the engine kill works if it only activates when i lock and leave the car. I have read here about people who leave their car with their smart keyin their pocket and a valet or someone is able to drive off with the car. Does this system prevent that does it stop the car without the key with this extra system. Basically to anyone who knows or has this what does this system entail. If it helps this car was purchased in souhtern California.

Thank you very much for any and all help on this. I apologize for the extra long post.