1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota admits making hybrids was a mistake, announces immediate halt of sales of all hybrids

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by priusenvy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tokyo (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Company CEO Katsuaki "Bud" Watanabe ended weeks of speculation today by announcing at an industry dinner that making hybrids was a fundamental strategic mistake, and that Toyota would immediately discontinue sales, manufacturing, and research on hybrid vehicles. Watanabe cited dismal 2007 Prius sales of only 280,000 units worldwide (180,000 in the USA), and tens of thousands of dissatisfied owners who only obtained 50+mpg fuel economy as leading factors contributing to the decision to end Toyota's involvement in hybrid technology.

"Hybrid automobiles are a constant reminder that fossil fuels are a limited resource, and that global warming is real. People don't want their cars to constantly remind them of these unpleasant realities. Driving should provide an escape, which is why we are converting the Prius and Camry hybrid assembly lines into lines to build what consumers really want, specifically Tundras, Sequoias, and Land Cruisers."

Watanabe cited a recent meeting with GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz as being highly influential in the decision to cease manufacturing of hybrid cars.

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm really relieved. I'm going out right now and buying an H1 Hummer while the prices are still low. I hope they will take my Prius as a trade-in.I know by next week there will be a run on all of the really large vehicle dealers.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok...*sigh*... this day is like getting pinched on St. Patricks day by your color -blind coworker

5. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Me too! Got run out quick and put my down payment, and work out a trade in for my Prius while it's under the 1000 mile mark.
    Gonna get a H-1 in battle ship gray with all the brush guards, extra lights and spare fuel cans painted flat black! One ugly looking beast, but I want the world to know I don't care! :D
    I'll only take in off road in virgin woodlands, ripping up whatever I can, squashing the little woodland critters as I go! :eek:

6. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ROTFL!

hey, at least most of the people on this forum figured out that this "news" has to do something with April 1st....

which i cannot say for some other forum users who would be on the floor now, in pool of blood arguing...

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't he play Long Duk Dong in "Sixteen Candles"?

8. Prius Prime

Prius Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, I think most US automakers actually feel this way.

Hey, if we all drive big SUVs can we speed up to beat other cars to first to the red light? Really what are these people thinking?

Prius Prime

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A funnier 4/1 joke:

GM SORRY FOR CRUSHING ALMOST ALL THE EV1's :

They're refunding to the Fed's ~ all the MILLIONS of taxpayers dollars that they took from public funds to create it. Your refund will be coming this April 15th.

or, how about,

CHEVRON REPENTS: GOOD WILL GESTURE TO EV MANUFACTURERS
    They're no longer witholding patent rights to the highest density to weight ratio batteries ever made.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    even better :

GM announcing official start of VOLT productions as of 2010:D

11. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, mawwied!

12. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm surprised the article did not start out

"CNW Marketing Research Press Release" :D

13. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well then time to sell the Prius and get a Cobra with one of those nice 427 cu in engines! Oh and a Hummer to tow it around. :scared:

14. billynjoanna

billynjoanna New Member

I take it you are a Navy man. And, I like your pic on your profile. But, did you know that Popeye was a Coast Guard man not a Navy man? I have always found the the two sevices never got a long. But, it's a cool pic anyway.

15. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    funny how this comes up very near APRILS FOOL day.

i remember the day i saw the H2 at the auto show. it didn't post the EPA fuel mileage and i asked the salesperson,,,,,,,,,,where is the fuel mileage, they said that it NOT necessary with a vehicle that weighs over 6,000 lbs. hmmmmm......when i dug deeper, i realized this was a 7/10 mpg truck.

wow! ????????????????????

i'd much rather drive my 69 camaro ss convertible with it's 427 aluminum block, 174 HE blower and NOS to boot. easy 10's all day long,

the hybrids are very good cars and i absolutely love my prius.......

:flame:

16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Oh my God!!, and I signed contract for 2 H2, what am I going to do?:confused:

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    when are they taking our cars back to crush them...?

18. efforts

efforts New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    that was just freaky. though i didn't believe it for a moment. what the heck would they benefit from recalling an environmentally sound vehicle?